Search results

1. Rennie Heuer

Hanging entry shelf.

Next project on the schedule is this hanging entryway shelf. I designed this for a client in Oregon who is a fan of G&G. He likes for me to add lots of G&G touches. Lots. It will be walnut with ebony accents. The back plate takes its deign ques from several ceiling fixtures, primarily from the...
  2. Rennie Heuer

Light Boxes

I have a job coming up to build light boxes for stained glass windows - big windows. They are 30" wide and nearly 8' tall. I have a general idea on the construction and mounting, but I'm kind of stuck on the lighting method. Certainly LED is the choice for light source, but mounting then to...
  3. Rennie Heuer

A Fast Frame

A client that I have done other work for asked me to make an A&C style frame for a tile he had purchased. Sure, said I, no problem. He wants it unfinished so I thought it would be a perfect one day build. I dug around and found a hunk of 8/4 QSWO left over from another project. I first cut...
  4. Rennie Heuer

Free HDPE

I have about 1500 of these little HPE blocks that I am willing to send to anyone for the cost of postage. Take as few or as many as you need. They are exactly 1/2 inch thick and vary between 1 1/32” and 1 3/32”square. I can think of a few good uses in jigs, etc. But I am betting that the minds...
  5. Rennie Heuer

Cherry Sideboard

The next project on the calendar is this cherry sideboard, kind of. The client wants this design but wants the lower section enclosed with three doors sized to match the drawers. The design is from a 2012 issue of Woodsmith magazine. Their plans are quite good but I still needed to do a few...
  6. Rennie Heuer

2024 - Off to a rip roaring start.

Well, I hope this is no indication of how the rest of 2024 will go! Since Christmas two of our neighbors passed away (those of you who attended Sunken Wood will remember Maude from next door), Jan's great aunt (102) passed, Jan's son spent 5 days in the hospital with a gallbladder infection and...
  7. Rennie Heuer

Gluing magnets

I need to glue a few rare earth magnets in place in wood. I've used some CA in the past with about a 20% failure rate. For some reason it just doesn't hold well. Could be the ca I'm using. I've also seen people use epoxy and hot melt. Anyone have experience in this and have a sure fire go to glue?
  8. Rennie Heuer

What??

I had wanted to reply to Franks post "cut once", but this message is at the bottom of his post. You have insufficient privileges to reply here. What gives? Did I forget to pay my dues? :dunno::rofl:
  9. Rennie Heuer

Unexpectedly exceptional customer service

I've been using a Bessey STC plunger type clamp in a specific jig for about 10 years. This past month I went to adjust the tension on the jig and the casting that holds the set screw snapped. A bit disappointing since is not a cheap clamp. None-the-less, I thought I would contact Bessey and at...
  10. Rennie Heuer

Nitrile Gloves

Not really a classified ad, just a heads up. I do not receive any benefit from this. Fastenal (I work there part time) is getting rid of about 12 million 4 mil nitrile gloves. Covid era stock, most likely. I use the 5 mil gloves from Harbor Freight that are currently selling for $7.99 per 100...
  11. Rennie Heuer

Will it work?

I'm designing some corner shelvs, about 12" deep, for a client. I want to hide the screws that attach it to the wall by setting them in a 1/4" deep groove behind the edge of the shelf and then set the shelf in to the groove. The shelf will be held in with a pair of rare earth magnets. To my eye...
  12. Rennie Heuer

Way off topic - auto issues

I recently replaced the headlamps on my 2001 RAM 1500 as the old (originals) were very degraded. I also switched to LEDs rather than the stock halogens. The LEDs are great and light the road very well. Unfortunately they seem to be wired backwards. The high and low beams are reversed. I have...
  13. Rennie Heuer

What do you know about anchors?

My next project is a bit outside the guardrails for me. It's a handrail built of red cedar and cypress. It's going on the back porch of the home I installed the two A&C fireplace mantels, the built in entryway bench, and several pieces of furniture. I need to securely anchor the ends to a 105...
  14. Rennie Heuer

Another one done

Sorry, not a lot of play-by-play on this one. I've been so busy between the shop, a new job, and helping to care for Fletcher that whatever time I have to work in the shop has to be devoted to getting things done rather than take pictures. This is another sofa table based on the designs of...
  15. Rennie Heuer

What's the best...

What's the best wood to use for an outdoor railing that will be painted? Any suggestions?
  16. Rennie Heuer

Got a job

As well as I am doing with building furniture the income is not as regular and dependable as needed, so, I went out and got a part time job. 27 Hours, 3 days. Not bad. One thing I can say is that going through a job interview at 72 years of age is VERY different than when I was 32! :rofl...
  17. Rennie Heuer

No owners group?

These days you can search Google and Facebook and find owners groups for everything from Bugatti's to bug repellent. So, why can't I find an owners group for Rikon tools? I was able to turn up one very small private group for one of their lathes, but nothing else. The fence on my 'original...
  18. Rennie Heuer

Quick Weekend Project

I can't rival Allen's "3 hour" build, but I can do a weekend! 😁 Jan's Craig's List find of a few years ago was 'starting' to show some sings of impending failure. :rofl: So, since I have all those tools and all, why can't I just build a new one? No reason, I guess. Here it is - flat sawn...
  19. Rennie Heuer

Morning Visitors

Had this couple drop by for a visit this morning. They live a little ways up the street from us. Nikon D50, nikkor 70-600 zoom. 800 ISO. Minimal exposure correction in Elements 2020.
  20. Rennie Heuer

Modern Bed/Nightstands in walnut

As the entry bench winds down I'm anxious to get started on the next project. Stepping forward a half-century or so from the last two projects into the 'modern' era. This bed and nightstand set is decidedly more modern with its straight lines and lack of any adornment. I picked up the lumber...