Cherry Sideboard

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
The next project on the calendar is this cherry sideboard, kind of. The client wants this design but wants the lower section enclosed with three doors sized to match the drawers. The design is from a 2012 issue of Woodsmith magazine. Their plans are quite good but I still needed to do a few drawings of my own to map out the individual sections of the lower cabinet.

I got off to a good start building the plywood inner carcass. (Pics to follow) Then I ran into an issue.

The client is having me build this as a wedding present for his daughter. He is a woodworker but, after a few false starts, decided this project was well above his paygrade. Unfortunately for me, this all took place several years ago. Here's why - he is supplying all the lumber (except the plywood) for the project. The bad part? He milled 90% of the lumber to 3/4" (+.020") thick some years ago and, my guess, did not store it flat and stickered all this time. So, 80% of the boards have slight twists, cups, or warps. Very slight, but not flat and not enough material left to get it flat. Fortunately he gave me about 3 times as much wood as I will need, except for the top. I should be able to find enough to take care of the rails and stile on the doors and drawers. If not, the un-milled boards he gave me, though riddled with knots, pitch pockets, checks and sapwood, should yield more than enough for many of the 'shorts' I will need. I can also slice it for door and drawer panels, and even 5/8" drawer boxes should I decide to go that way. (normally I prefer hard maple for drawer boxes.)

The top is another story as the plans call for a 1" finished thickness. I'll need to go out and get some 5/4 cherry to supplement.

1704904356437.png

Looks like it will be a beautiful piece.

Too bad he did all the planing, hopefully you don't have to take off a lot to keep the color of the wood consistent too, since cherry darkens.

I think that ends up being one of the communication is key things.. and maybe stick the new stuff under a UV light for a couple days to help even it out.
If things go well only the top will be new wood. Good call on the lamp, or I can hope for a few sunny days. 😁 No way will I try my hand at color matching - that never goes well for me. :rofl:

I'm keeping the client informed.

I have always liked that piece. I have the plans in my "folder" on the PC where I keep "that's cool", "why didn't I think of that?", and other inspirational things I've come across over the years. I particularly like the semi-hidden glassware storage in the thick leg members.

If the client has done any woodworking he should be easy to talk to about the state of the material and what you will be able to use and not. Since I am not set up to turn (or possess the skills) I would purchase the columns. Is that your plan? This is going to be a fun ride along.

Since I am not set up to turn (or possess the skills) I would purchase the columns. Is that your plan? This is going to be a fun ride along.
I purchased the columns, at over $300!

I wish I could promise a ride along of the caliber you routinely produce, but I either never seem to have the time, the expertise, or the forethought to take pictures as I go along. So, your ride might just be an express ride with a few scheduled stops rather than the full on tour.

the side walls are doors?

I was really admiring the columns, since I did not read any of the print here, just looked at the pics. then decided to read, to see how you made those columns, they look like something complicated to make.

I love anything made of cherry.

great looking piece, but Id expect nothing less from you.

the side walls are doors?

I was really admiring the columns, since I did not read any of the print here, just looked at the pics. then decided to read, to see how you made those columns, they look like something complicated to make.
Yes, the sides are doors, shallow shelves made for glassware, etc. The columns were easy. I ordered them on line from Tablelegs.com. :rofl:

Ready for some final hand sanding and then the oil! (front door hinges removed)
or so I thought.

Going back over the details I found two things that need attention.
I just did not like the way I made the drawer boxes, so I’ve decided to make them over.
Second, I did a dumb thing and set the top on top of the cabinet and had it up on my assembly table where the hot air from the heater blew across it. It cupped. Ever so slightly, about 1/32”. So, I flipped it in hopes that I can undo the damage.

Man, I can't wait to see that after the oil hits it. That piece is going to be stunning!
Yeah man!

Sorry, the previous was a quick response from my phone 😒.

That is really coming together. I can totally relate to thinking that I am ready to do "blah" . . . only to discover some small (or large) thing that I had missed. It is the attention to these things that elevates our efforts; time well spent. 1/32" of wobble on a top that size would probably just cinch down with your top-mounting method. As to the drawer boxes; I don't know what bugged you about them but I have developed a hair-trigger for "making a new one" when I am not happy with something. I have never been sorry for going back and spending the time or effort to make things that I am happy with. The overall look is wonderful. I think I stated before that this is in my computer folder of stuff I keep around to make or steal ideas from. A very attractive form for this style as far as I am concerned.

Last edited: