Cherry Sideboard

Halleluiah! My trick for getting the top to flatten out worked. As soon as I could verify that it had returned to flat I gave it a coat of oil on both sides to help it maintain equilibrium.

I will get back to rebuilding the drawer boxes in a few days.

As to the drawer boxes; I don't know what bugged you about them but I have developed a hair-trigger for "making a new one" when I am not happy with something. I have never been sorry for going back and spending the time or effort to make things that I am happy with. The overall look is wonderful. I think I stated before that this is in my computer folder of stuff I keep around to make or steal ideas from. A very attractive form for this style as far as I am concerned.
Comforting words coming from one who's work I truly respect. As for you wanting to build one of these someday, I can give you a few cautions - like the plans call for 17" undermount slides - good luck finding them. The space is 18 1/2" deep - about 1/8" too shallow for Blum 18" slides. I'm using 16", only slightly easier to find than 17". :rofl:

I have taken Woodworker magazines for years, and have loved a great number of projects they have featured. However the ability and the styling has not always been feasable for me. I have built a number of there projects and have enjoyed them greatly. In reference to the magazine i'll throw in a plug for what I have available # 1 number issue up to about 3 years ago. If anyone desires the set let me know and we can make arrangements. Or any portion thereof. Used to an excellent magazine until advertising raised its head.
David

All done!

This is a heavy beast - I'm guessing around 300 lbs. Solid cherry and cherry veneer (2 full sheets of 3/4" plywood). The door and drawer panels are all solid cherry as are the drawer sides. One thing that surprised me was the rearmost board on the top seemed a good color/grain match to the other two until the finish went on. Then, as can be seen, it was a great match looking from one end and a totally different look from the other end.

Drawer slides are undermount from Lee Valley. Won't buy them again as they turned out to be rather finicky and have no forward/back adjustment or even elongated mounting holes for adjusting it. Makes setting inset doors a real chore. I think I'll go with Blum slides from now on and just pass the additional cost along. Magnetic 'push to open' catches on the ends, standard magnetic catches for the doors. The knobs were per plan, $17 each from Lee Valley. Would not have been my first choice. I think I would have gone with wood knobs in cherry.

Finish is 2 (interior) to six (top) applications of Livos clear oil.

Two months working 3 days a week.

IMG_2807.JPEGIMG_2806.JPEGIMG_2815.JPEGIMG_2814.JPEGIMG_2813.JPEGIMG_2812.JPEGIMG_2811.JPEGIMG_2810.JPEGIMG_2809.JPEGIMG_2808.JPEG

Last edited: