Way off topic - auto issues

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I recently replaced the headlamps on my 2001 RAM 1500 as the old (originals) were very degraded. I also switched to LEDs rather than the stock halogens. The LEDs are great and light the road very well. Unfortunately they seem to be wired backwards. The high and low beams are reversed. I have brought this to the attention of the seller (Fahren) several times in a long string of emails and they keep insisting that a decoder will fix the problem. I disagree as the 2001 headlamp control (as far as I can tell) is completely analog. I've seen a number of posts on automotive forums complaining about the same issue and the remedy seems to be rewiring the plug that attaches to the lamp.

I doubt the sellers diagnosis and fix, but I wanted to try one more source to see if there have been any attempts to fixing this issue using a decoder. Or, is it time to start snipping wires?

I just have to ask - Are you certain that you installed the new lights right side up?

If you have a crimping tool and the right size crimp splice pieces, it's a pretty simple job to cut, swap, and splice the wires. Just do it a few inches back from the connector, so if you ever have a problem, or bad connection, it can be done over again. This will likely take you less time than all of the emails about it.

My little 1987 Cushman truck was wired for low beam only and no hi/low switch when I got it. I ended up buying replacement headlight connectors and making a headlight harness for it with the needed hi/low switch added.

Charley

Attachments

• DSCF0084LoRes.jpg
    DSCF0084LoRes.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 2
Take a picture of the connector. Some of those connectors you can disassemble and reassemble to swap the wires around.