Modern Bed/Nightstands in walnut

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
As the entry bench winds down I'm anxious to get started on the next project. Stepping forward a half-century or so from the last two projects into the 'modern' era. This bed and nightstand set is decidedly more modern with its straight lines and lack of any adornment. I picked up the lumber this past week and will begin milling operations tomorrow.

I have something I've been considering in the design and one thing in the construction that I would like some feedback on from all of you.

The side rails are 7" tall and a full inch thick. I doubt I would even see any sag in these and I suppose that I could use the mattress support slats to keep them from spreading. It may be overkill, but I was thinking of getting a couple of lengths of 1 1/2" angle iron and having the flanges drilled and countersunk every 12" or so. It would act to stiffen the rail and I would attach a length of maple to the horizontal flange to pick up the mattress supports.

Too much?

Final.jpg

I was thinking of getting a couple of lengths of 1 1/2" angle iron and having the flanges drilled and countersunk every 12" or so. It would act to stiffen the rail and I would attach a length of maple to the horizontal flange to pick up the mattress supports.

I think the main thing I'd be concerned about with most angle iron is potential staining.. So I'd probably pre-paint it. Other than that it sounds like a good idea, I've seen various other methods used to stiffen the side rails, mostly in the form of strips of secondary wood attached (2x4s if you will..) but the angle iron would potentially be lighter for the same amount of gain.

I like the idea, but would have the top flange also drilled for mattress supports at whatever the spacing you plan on using. You could then drill each mattress board and secure it to the top flange with a drop in pin like a round head nail cut off to the right length. You could also bolt a few of the mattress boards for extra security. This method would dispense with the extra maple board you plan on using.

I think the main thing I'd be concerned about with most angle iron is potential staining.. So I'd probably pre-paint it. Other than that it sounds like a good idea, I've seen various other methods used to stiffen the side rails, mostly in the form of strips of secondary wood attached (2x4s if you will..) but the angle iron would potentially be lighter for the same amount of gain.
I think the painting is a good idea.
I like the idea, but would have the top flange also drilled for mattress supports at whatever the spacing you plan on using. You could then drill each mattress board and secure it to the top flange with a drop in pin like a round head nail cut off to the right length. You could also bolt a few of the mattress boards for extra security. This method would dispense with the extra maple board you plan on using.
This has merit. I believe I can find some pins that I could epoxy into the ends of the support boards and drop into the holes in the flange. Thanks, I may use this.

At first I thought this was overkill. Glad to see others share the same concerns about bed rails!

My thoughts....use the maple, instead of the iron. Glue, and screw to the rail, at a height, that is needed for the cross slats.
If the mattress is,say 2" down, from the top of the rail, that would give a 5" maple add-on. Plenty stiff.
ps...hope I explained that well..........

I like the design. So will there be a box spring involved? Or just mattress supports and a mattress? Our last two beds were mattress only on a platform or on slats. The last bed frame we bought was made for a mattress only, so wasn't sure if you had to take into account the box spring or not in the frame design.

I like the design. So will there be a box spring involved? Or just mattress supports and a mattress? Our last two beds were mattress only on a platform or on slats. The last bed frame we bought was made for a mattress only, so wasn't sure if you had to take into account the box spring or not in the frame design.
Yes, there is a box spring.

the way the side boards are added to the head/footboards. inset into the legs, and screwed on to the side boards, and the one slides into the other for a tight fit. on the inside of the side boards, i have screwed a 1x2 into the side, the slats sit on top of that, then the box spring, and mattress.
049 finished footboard in clamps.jpg

Totally different approach on two beds I built. Bobbie wanted storage under both beds. That also took care of any sagging since the result was a platform bed requiring no box spring. The queen size (shown below) is made of two boxes that screw together; the king size version is three boxes.

Attachments

• DSC_0043.JPG
    DSC_0043.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 11