No owners group?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
These days you can search Google and Facebook and find owners groups for everything from Bugatti's to bug repellent. So, why can't I find an owners group for Rikon tools? I was able to turn up one very small private group for one of their lathes, but nothing else.

The fence on my 'original green' 18" band saw has always been the week link on this machine and I have toyed with getting a replacement. The company, as far as I can tell, does not offer an upgrade so aftermarket may be the way to go. Thinking I might gain some insight from other users I went looking for a forum or group - none to be found.

Found several discussions about the 18" Rikon, but couldn't find a dedicated user group. Looks like a few after market solutions though. One from Rikon, another from Shop Fox, and one from Kreg that you might be able to adapt. Very Super Cool Tools also has a heavy duty fence system you could adapt if money is no object. You can do a lot with 80/20 extrusions and might find an extrusion that would fit your current fence base.

I've got that kret, and it's ok, probably not what I would call a super heavy duty solution though. I don't do much resawing though. If you do, you'd probably want something a bit taller/heavier duty.

Might search for a FB group perhaps seems like most of the companies are going more of the social media route.
One of the first places I looked. Only the one group dedicated to a single lathe.
Found several discussions about the 18" Rikon, but couldn't find a dedicated user group. Looks like a few after market solutions though. One from Rikon, another from Shop Fox, and one from Kreg that you might be able to adapt. Very Super Cool Tools also has a heavy duty fence system you could adapt if money is no object. You can do a lot with 80/20 extrusions and might find an extrusion that would fit your current fence base.
Thanks Ted - The Rikon says it fits all Rikons, but I have my doubts. It would require removing the table and getting a machine shop to drill a coupe of holes in the end of the table - something I would not trust myself to do. Otherwise, looks like a good solution. The Shop Fox is very sililar to the factory fence I have - not so hot.
I've got that kret, and it's ok, probably not what I would call a super heavy duty solution though. I don't do much resawing though. If you do, you'd probably want something a bit taller/heavier duty.
Yes, resawing is my primary concern.

Yes, resawing is my primary concern.
I would say this is the one main clarifying parameters. Can you supply the model of your older Rikon Green Machine? Table size (width, length, thickness) particularly). Bandsaws are the source of so much unnecessary voo-doo that there are a lot of fences that do all sorts of supposedly magical things. My Grizzly fences, while far from perfect, are very usable. If I were looking to aftermarket I would want better. I am reasonably confident I would probably make one or modify a commercial one to make it more like what I was after. that being said, if I can identify your model I will percolate and possibly (marginally possibly) come up with something.

...The Rikon says it fits all Rikons, but I have my doubts. It would require removing the table and getting a machine shop to drill a coupe of holes in the end of the table - something I would not trust myself to do...
Cast iron is surprisingly easy to drill. I have no doubt you could accurately drill a couple of holes in a bandsaw table.

Hmmm. Had not considered it was cast...

Glenn, here you go - table is 19" deep and 21" wide. Shown is my current resaw fence solution. Motor has been upgraded to 3HP.

IMG_2449.JPEGIMG_2448.JPEGIMG_2447.JPEG

Rennie, I agree with the above. Cast is easy to drill/tap as I have done it.
Also looking forward to Glenn's thoughts although I would like a little more detail on
"the week link on this machine". The fence looks quite similar to the one on my Grizzly and I think, Glenn's Grizzly. Mine is rock solid and will resaw all day.
1685217409155.png 1685217438473.png
Only two differences, you have added the tall fence board and your blade is removed from the table front, not the side. Have to take the fence rail off to remove/change blade?
Just curious as to what it is not doing properly.

Well, there are two week links, IMHO - the fence and the guide bearings - more on that some other time but I say this primarily because they are not tool free and are a bit of a pain to adjust.

Now, the fence. Note mine has two screws to lock the 'square' setting of the fence as the Griz has 4. Mine can get knocked out of square very easily. The fence can't be laid on its side for ripping small/thin stock. The blade does exit the front of the table requiring the loosening of 5 thumb screws. Maybe I'm just being picky, but keeping it square can be a chore. The set screws can only be reached with a long allen wrench leaving only the short end for leverage. Suppose I could get the right size with a screwdriver like handle.

IMG_2452.JPEGIMG_2451.JPEGIMG_2450.JPEG

The blade does exit the front of the table requiring the loosening of 5 thumb screws

Interesting, I had sort of grumbled about having to rotate the blade 90 to get it out of the grizz (which also requires retracting the lower guides on larger blades) but hadn't really considered the advantages regards the fence setup for some reason. The guides actually look really similar to the Griz 513 and I agree the could be easier to adjust.

I don't have anything on the fence but am also looking forward to hearing the collectives ideas on it.

Interesting, I had sort of grumbled about having to rotate the blade 90 to get it out of the grizz (which also requires retracting the lower guides on larger blades) but hadn't really considered the advantages regards the fence setup for some reason. The guides actually look really similar to the Griz 513 and I agree the could be easier to adjust.

I don't have anything on the fence but am also looking forward to hearing the collectives ideas on it.
Also (forgot to add) you have to remove the fence assembly when changing blades.

The Rikon 10-920 looks pretty stout and seems to have a good following as an after market for MM16 owners. The price seems a little painful so you will have to be the judge of how unhappy you are with your current (or some other lesser) fence. I will say that the Mag Fence is not reliable for larger stock IME. It is handy for smaller work but if you are resawing planks for a table top the leverage is too great and the fence will shift. I returned mine.

I can reliably list the things that I don't like about my fences. These are things that would make me take a pass on ANY replacement fence. Like my drill press, the cost of a bandsaw fence that would be a true upgrade is greater than my concern over the things I don't like. However:
- Aluminum guide rails; should work well but just don't. I have tried everything and cannot get either Grizzly fence to slide smoothly.
- Bad ergonomics. The fence controls get in the way. I modified the locking handle so it is now livable. The fence extrusion lock hits the spine on wider cuts. Both these things could have easily been avoided in the design.

They do lock down solid, have high and low positions that switch easily, and they come off and go on in a snap. That being said, the 10-920 is about the best one I have come across for this scale of saw. The manual is available here. You will want to be sure that your table is stout enough to hold the guide rail which sets fairly proud. I don't expect that will be a problem but I always double check this stuff. Life is short. Six months from now you will have forgotten all about the price :D

Last edited:
My Laguna 24 came with a similar (to the Rikon), but less sophisticated fence rail set up that has been abused yet remained rock solid for the better part of 20 years. It came with a short cast iron fence to which I added a 6" tall repurposed aluminum fence that originally came on my jointer planer, but had a manufacturing defect and was replaced. I got to keep the defective fence, which works great on the band saw.

A hobbyist might blink at the cost of the Rikon, but a custom furniture maker needs reliable equipment and can factor the cost into projects. The Rikon looks like it fills the bill. There's a drilling template in the manual Glenn posted and installation should be well within your skill set. We are happy to help you spend money :rofl:

IMG_8888.jpeg, IMG_8893.jpeg ,