What's the best...

My son has an all composite large deck. Originally I thought he spent the extra money foolishly but after 20 years it looks like new. And with friends and kids playing a big plus is no splinters. Ain't wood but if I had to do it over I would go with the composite.

Composit would certainly last but it just not work for this application. This is a 107 year old craftsman and composit would be out of place. The railings will be painted, probably to matches existing trim. It’s a short run across the top step and down to the first step. Not sure how I will address that short bit.

Western red cedar is readily available here and I was leaning that way. I know white oak and mahogany would also be good choices. Can’t get redwood.
IMG_2460.jpeg

Love the varied opinions - much to consider.

Here's the final choice from the customer. He likes this design.
6b.jpg

It's going here.
IMG_2470.JPEG

The distance between newel posts is a bit tight. I'll need to move them out and slim them down a little. Best I can do is about 24".

Just plain old pine has lasted decades on so many old houses here in New England. I painted houses many moons ago. Pine.

To get better than that - Cedar.

White Oak has been used for years on boats going back several hundreds of years.

We had a boat - oak ribs, cedar planking.

Don't use Red Oak.

Use a GREAT primer - 2 or 3 coats.

If you want to get crazy - use a marine grade top coat.

Just plain old pine has lasted decades on so many old houses here in New England. I painted houses many moons ago. Pine.

To get better than that - Cedar.
Fortunately I will not be doing the paining.

If I could get southern yellow pine I would probably go that way. Western red cedar is available here.

To gain a little width, how about putting moving the posts to the outside edge of the porch and steps so the railing and verticals are straight up from the edge of the concrete?
I was planning on making the posts smaller - from 4.5" square to 4" and moving them from their current 1" from the edge to 1/2".

Looks like you have a design chosen, but like Jon suggested I was thinking over the sides of the porch, would allow for some design over the sides to be carried to the ground rather than it being a big white rectangle down there. Hard to tell what the overall look is from the one pic though.

Looks like you have a design chosen, but like Jon suggested I was thinking over the sides of the porch, would allow for some design over the sides to be carried to the ground rather than it being a big white rectangle down there. Hard to tell what the overall look is from the one pic though.
I need to double check dimensions, but I know I am very close. I'd have advised for wider steps, but I wasn't asked. Here's a few more pics.
IMG_2458.JPEGIMG_2459.JPEGIMG_2460.JPEGIMG_2470.JPEGIMG_2471.JPEGIMG_2472.JPEG