Another one done

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Sorry, not a lot of play-by-play on this one. I've been so busy between the shop, a new job, and helping to care for Fletcher that whatever time I have to work in the shop has to be devoted to getting things done rather than take pictures.

This is another sofa table based on the designs of Darrell Peart. This time in cherry. I made a lot of changes to the construction methods on this one to accommodate the use of dominos. In fact, every joint is a domino joint.

I did take a few pics of the breadboard end construction as using dominos here is a real departure from traditional methods. The two dominos in the center are glued at both ends, the outer four are glued at one end and allowed to float in oversize mortises on the other. 3" Long panhead screws pull everything tight. The outer screws have elongated holes to allow for movement. So much easier than the traditional long mortise and tenon. The screw holes will be plugged with 3/8" square ebony plugs.

Finishing starts today. I'll be using 3 to 4 applications of Livos oil.

IMG_2561.JPEGIMG_2571.JPEGIMG_2562.JPEGIMG_2575.JPEGIMG_2574.JPEG

Very nice. Great looking material to go with the wonderful craftsmanship. I was hoping to finally get to build a sofa table for the new house. Some inherited display cabinets got placed there instead. It is just one of those things on my bucket list. Can you talk a little bit about the construction of the aprons? Are those floating panels or are the vertical dividers appliques?

The a
Very nice. Great looking material to go with the wonderful craftsmanship. I was hoping to finally get to build a sofa table for the new house. Some inherited display cabinets got placed there instead. It is just one of those things on my bucket list. Can you talk a little bit about the construction of the aprons? Are those floating panels or are the vertical dividers appliques?
The apron is made up of three parts. A top rail 1 1/8" x 1/2" grooved 1/8" deep to accept the 1/2" thick solid wood panel. Then the bottom rail which is 3/4" thick and rabbeted to accept the panel. They are joined to the leg with three 6 x 40 Dominos at each end. The dominos are in the panel and lower rail - mostly. The trim pieces are applied with some thick CA glue.

In the past I have used floating panels, dovetails for the top rail to leg connection and M&T for the bottom rail. This method takes less than half the time. I have an itsy bit of fear that one of those securely fastened panels might crack someday, but they are not very wide and I will finish them equally on all sides - fingers crossed.

IMG_2576.JPEGIMG_2574 (2).JPEG

So far I have been able to avoid a part time job, other that to get customer sign jobs out the door. I think I am going to stop that one, except small stuff like templates and such. I have so much house repairs to do and to finish remodeling my kitchen. I can honestly state that I have bitten off way to much for retirement.

As to taking pics of progress - oh yeah - I can definately understand that. Videos are far more intense. On the Thistle Cottage sign I used 4 cameras plus my cell phone. Real close to 300 Gb's of video. Putting together a youtube 30 min video is killer. And I watch the vid 300 times, and I think it stincks.

You bench is simply awesome. I am amazed at the work you do. I am very fortunate to actually touch some of it some times. You have no idea what THAT means to me.

Someday SIR I want to sit and chat face to face over a coffee - I am certain we will do that someday.

So far I have been able to avoid a part time job,

You bench is simply awesome. I am amazed at the work you do. I am very fortunate to actually touch some of it some times. You have no idea what THAT means to me.

Someday SIR I want to sit and chat face to face over a coffee - I am certain we will do that someday.
I waited too long to get the part time gig. However, had I not had it the hip operation on Fletcher would never have happened. I don't gripe about having to work at 72, rather I get up every morning and thank God I am still able to work at 72! 😁

I should have noted - LEO MADE THE TEMPLATES FOR THE SHAPELY RAILS AND MOST OF THE EBONY PLUGS!! :clap:

As for the cup of coffee and chat, I very much look forward to it! :coffee:

Several applications of Livos natural oil and it is ready to leave the shop. I'll try to get some better pictures once it is delivered. We've had to rearrange furniture and put down carpet runners in an effort to provide Fletcher with 'non-slip surfaces' on which to lay and travel while he recovers from his surgery. So, my primary photo space/backdrop is off limits for now.

IMG_2602.JPEGIMG_2599.JPEGIMG_2604.JPEGIMG_2603.JPEGIMG_2601.JPEGIMG_2600.JPEG