Day 73: OK, all youse geniuses! Help!

well, sportsfans, with one crisis over and the next one just a gleam on the horizon, work has started again. I actually lost a total of four days, but some of that was to christmas shopping (lost all of tuesday on that, then most of christmas eve, then most of christmas). I did end up at to depot around 4 pm christmas eve, buying drywall and insulation. Then I lost four hours (four bleedin' hours!) on an ultimately failed GFCI switch/outlet combination install.

It *should* have worked. I've put in two others (in the bathrooms). But not this time! In short, I had one (powered) black wire coming in. I needed two (one switched) coming out. So I tried to put the switch wire into the out going line terminal. No dice. I checked the other ones I'd done... they connected to the same screw junction as the line coming in. The weird configuration made that impossible. Alas! Alackaday!

Came up with a solution, but it took time. Essentially, I'll run the diswasher from another circuit. This is one of the benefits of redoing everything, I guess... flexibility.

Here's the thing that gave me so many fits yesterday:

lots of feature details on the website, but not much install help. I guess it should be easy? :rofl:

Thanks,

Bill

I wish I had your energy and your know how to rip out my kitchen and build a new one.
Best wishes for a quick finish and start the new year off right!

Looking like quite some challenges there. You seem to have a handle on it all.

my home was built in 1952.

Last time I ripped out anything I found an original window, glass panes intact, hidden behind a wall. I decided I wont rip anything out anymore, Im too afraid of what Ill find.

Hi Bill,
So, what is the new time frame for getting finished?
I showed my wife the pic of the overloaded cabinet. Her comment/question was "why would anyone have that many different types of dishes in one cabinet, she can't use them all... can she?":huh:

One question about under the sink: Wouldn’t it have been easier to cap the copper supply lines about 3 to 4 inches above the bottom shelf?
attachment.php

Then when you put the cabinets back in, you can just locate holes in the bottom shelf of the cab and slide them over. Then you can put your shut-off valves right there on those stub-ups. That way you can them avoid the slots in the bottom, and use rings to cover up the oversized holes.

Ted

Last edited:
Well, the electrical work is finally done. I can't tell you what a relief that is, especially getting rid of "the electrical box from heck" Over the years, I've lost many days working on that one, and it's finally gone.

Actually, there have been three different electricians who worked on this house before me. How can I tell? I rely on the old saying "By their works, you will know them." I call one of them "beautiful rat-tail guy." Honestly, I don't know how he did it, but he has my respect:

whoops 002 (Medium).jpg

I can't do anything like that. Guy #2 was in the "whatever works" school. I suspect #3 was the previous homeowner, and the less said about his work, the better.

Here's part of the cause for delay. I can't think of a better excuse:

whoops 003 (Medium).jpg

That's #3 and #6 son on christmas morning.

whoops 004 (Medium).jpg

whoops 005 (Medium).jpg

Here's the work area, nearing completion:

whoops 006 (Medium).jpg

Oh, and here's the reason I'm doing all this work. I put it in to remind me! ;)

whoops 007 (Medium).jpg

And here is more construction detritus from 45 years ago. I guess they didn't have whisk brooms back in those days... ;)

whoops 009 (Medium).jpg

Thanks,

Bill

Attachments

• whoops 008 (Medium).jpg
    whoops 008 (Medium).jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 58
Hi Bill,
So, what is the new time frame for getting finished?

Ted

Ted,

Since today is the biggest football day in San Diego's year, I'll quote that football commercial that has some coach, having just lost, saying "Playoffs?!? Don't talk to me about playoffs!!!" I've given up on the idea of time frames. I'm at that stage where I turn on the lights, do what I can, and turn off the lights in the evening. We'll see where we get...
;)

I showed my wife the pic of the overloaded cabinet. Her comment/question was "why would anyone have that many different types of dishes in one cabinet, she can't use them all... can she?":huh:

Oh, yes, she can! :rofl: Worse, she actually asked for more plates for Christmas! She's the Imelda Marcos of dinnerware! ;) You should see the other cabinets! :p

One question about under the sink: Wouldn’t it have been easier to cap the copper supply lines about 3 to 4 inches above the bottom shelf?

Then when you put the cabinets back in, you can just locate holes in the bottom shelf of the cab and slide them over. Then you can put your shut-off valves right there on those stub-ups. That way you can them avoid the slots in the bottom, and use rings to cover up the oversized holes.

That's a good way of doing it. I'll have to consider that when I get to that stage. My previous method was expedient, but left much to be desired...

The funny thing is when I did the laundry room I switched over to pex, and told myself that all future plumbing projects would be done that way. Maybe this is an opportunity to go in that direction under this sink...

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
I wish I had your energy and your know how to rip out my kitchen and build a new one.
Best wishes for a quick finish and start the new year off right!

Looking like quite some challenges there. You seem to have a handle on it all.

Allen,

I don't have a handle on anything! Trust me, I'm a bumbling doofus! Ask Doorlink! :rofl:

What's worse, the knowledge I have could fit in a thimble! Combine that with my stunning natural laziness, and you can see the real problem! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Your progress is looking great. It must be gratifying to know that you are taking the time to correct all the remuddles that may not have fully showed, but existed beneath the surface. And the wife appears to be still radiantly happy about the whole thing (Prosaic?).

Just one question, dishes, bathroom sink or bathtub? BTDT:)

Ahhhh Bill. Thanks so much for the numerous updates and step by step. You've scared the heck out of me and now I don't know if our kitchen will ever get done.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well, folks,

Lost some time yesterday to the Charger game. I think I'll use this icon until they lose... which will likely be saturday! ;)

The project is starting to look like something, at long last.

camera 001 (Medium).jpg

camera 002 (Medium).jpg

camera 003 (Medium).jpg

Got the first bit of cabinet blocking up after I took these... have a ways to go on that, then it's on to the drywall adventure! I cut all the insulation out in the shop (thank goodness I cleaned the shop first!), mainly because I didn't want insulation fibers floating all over the house. Couldn't find a fresh blade for the utility knife, but was able to sharpen it with sandpaper, saving myself yet another trip to the despot. No rain today, so I may be able to at least do *some* drywall cutting outside. Even with that, Doorlink is going to take James to the park...

Thanks,

Bill

Well, folks,

It's been a while since I've posted an update. Lost four more days to another domestic issue, proving Ben Franklin's most famous maxim: "Life interferes with work!" Dang! :doh: I've now lost 8 days out of twenty to unrelated issues. :dunno:

Oh, and I do some crazy things sometimes. I am likely the only person you know who puts up cabinet blocking using pocket holes!

whoops 001 (Medium).jpg

I took some pics of the process, in case it's helpful. I had to use a story stick, since not a single opening was the same as another! Whoever built this house must have been on LSD.... hence the Glee in a can! :rofl:

whoops 002 (Medium).jpg

Here's the story stick on top of the piece about to be cut.

whoops 003 (Medium).jpg

Had the pocket hole jig set up on the way from the saw to the kitchen. Really, it took less than a minute to do the pocket holes on each piece, and it made flat placement much easier!

whoops 004 (Medium).jpg

Lots of blocking, then on to the drywall. You can see it got the camera a little dusty... ;)

whoops 005 (Medium).jpg

whoops 006 (Medium).jpg

whoops 007 (Medium).jpg

whoops 008 (Medium).jpg

whoops 009 (Medium).jpg

whoops 010 (Medium).jpg

More after the jump...

Thanks,

Bill

There are those who say they hate drywall. I actually don't mind it so much, what I don't like is losing time as I wait for the mud to dry! That one burns me...

The taping didn't go so badly, but in round two I had to get some special metal backed corner tape for the top seams (between wall and ceiling). While I was at it, I used it on the corner seam too. It worked well.

whoops 011 (Medium).jpg

whoops 012 (Medium).jpg

whoops 013 (Medium).jpg

whoops 014 (Medium).jpg

whoops 015 (Medium).jpg

whoops 016 (Medium).jpg

whoops 017 (Medium).jpg

whoops 018 (Medium).jpg

I wanted something like the dri-lock paint I used in the basement on the masonry, but couldn't find it. Instead, I got what they call "kitchen paint", whatever that is. Guess it's supposed to hold up in damp environments. What you see here is a couple coats of Kilz2 I had laying around.

whoops 019 (Medium).jpg

whoops 020 (Medium).jpg

Have to go down and get a coat of the real thing on there this morning. Yesterday, went to the blue box and got some plywood... one sheet to 1/2" maple/birch that I need to rebuild the sink cabinet (Doorlink wants the cabinet moved a few inches to the left, and the bottom and back would end up resembling swiss cheese given the holes I've had to cut for plumbing fixtures). Also got 3 sheets of 3/4 south american plywood for building the counter. I'm hoping it'll hold up better than that chinese stuff I've been using. That stuff would delaminate if you looked at it wrong. The plan is cabinet, then 3/4 ply, then 1/2 of that cementboard stuff, and then tile set in thinset. No cement board on the backsplash, just tile masticed to the sealed greenboard. I'm going to have to cross my fingers on that one...

Still, that's getting a head of myself. Today, it's paint, and then life issues burning up all the rest of the day. Won't even get to watch the playoffs, but I suppose I had my fill of football last night... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited: