Day 73: OK, all youse geniuses! Help!

I should call this 'read 'em and weep' :rofl:

Here's the infamous Luann, about to come down. It did its duty, but its been made redundant.

whoops 022 (Medium).jpg

whoops 023 (Medium).jpg

And this is what 45 year old severely abused drywall looks like. Not a pretty picture...

whoops 024 (Medium).jpg

You can't tell from the pics just how bad it really is. Trust me, it's ugly! :D

whoops 025 (Medium).jpg

whoops 026 (Medium).jpg

whoops 027 (Medium).jpg

Next step? It all has to come out...

More soon,

Thanks,

Bill

I have got to show this to the LOML.
She thinks I'm the only man in the world that would leave nkick-nacks, pictures hanging, etc. in place during a major renovation.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

attachment.php

Bill,

6 days remaining until X-Mas, I think you can have all the insulation, electrical, plumbing and the drywall rehung.

Thats a massive improvement from where you are today.

Keep at it, you making headway.

Randy

Starting a project like this just be fore Christmas..... I can't decide if your incredibly brave, or hopelessly insane.:huh:

Rennie and Bill,

Oh, I can answer that question. I was thinking about that while lying on my back yesterday evening, snaking my five decade old form into the underside of a cabinet, with a lit propane torch in one hand, and in the other, snaked around the fixtures in question, a roll of solder. I am clearly as nutty as a fruitcake! ;)

And there I was, lying on my back, in the water that had gotten everywhere, and of course I misdirected the flame when the torch hung up on a fixture, and number five son (12 years old) said "Doc, that's so cool! All the hair burned off your hand in an instant! Didn't that hurt?" I just looked at him. He then commented on the smell of burning hair... :rofl:

Oh, well, Doorlink ordered the tile yesterday: http://www.lafuente.com/product.php?pid=8053 6 boxes of 90. And a bunch of these for accents: http://www.lafuente.com/product.php?sid=428

Should be here about the time the drywall's done... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Who wants to watch television, when you can watch your dad torch himself? Must be nice to know you are so entertaining to your children.

I really loved the look of the tile, especially the accent tile. I bet your wife is excited about the changes.

How about some custom tiles Bill?
attachment.php
Now, imagine getting up in the middle of the night, making your way to the kitchen for a drink of water, turing on the light over the sink, and being confronted with this.:eek: Seems to me you might not want to go back to bed for fear of what your dreams might hold!:eek::rofl::rofl:

Seems to me you might not want to go back to bed for fear of what your dreams might hold!:eek::rofl::rofl:

What dreams may hold? How about "what old walls may hold?" ;)

So, there I was, minding my own business, ripping up drywall. "Wait, what's that at the bottom of the wall?"

whoops 001 (Medium).jpg

it looks like, no, it can't be...

whoops 002 (Medium).jpg

Yes! Forty five year old soda pop cans! :doh:

whoops 003 (Medium).jpg

Opened with whatever screwdriver happened to be around. :rofl:

whoops 004 (Medium).jpg

At least they're not beer cans. I did find one of those in the basement walls. I kept it as a shop trophy! ;)

They threw all sorts of old brick shards and other stuff in there too. Weird...

whoops 005 (Medium).jpg

On to the main event! Yep, looks like they just chipped out the bricks with a chisel, and wedged in the electrical boxes to feed the deck outside. That's where a lot of the cold air has been coming from...

whoops 007 (Medium).jpg

whoops 006 (Medium).jpg

And now, the perfect caption for the next picture. I had to think long and hard about this one!

Code? What code? :rofl: :doh: :dunno:

Whaddya mean, did the work pass inspection? The house sold, didn't it?

Yes, with a huge "as is" clause...

whoops 008 (Medium).jpg

Oh, and to top it all off, the concrete block just above where the exterior outlets are is completely loose, just floating there held up by a scrap of wood...

whoops 009 (Medium).jpg

Are we having fun yet? :rofl:

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Holy cow, that looks like a pot of spaghetti got spilled down the wall :eek:

Well, you will clean it up and do it right, trust me, I've been there, done that :rolleyes: :wave:

well bill i agree it looks like yur gonna make it,, and to have doorlink still smiliun holding this old cans, says alot your better then we thought most of us would have a better half with a bad dispostion now!

Hi Bill,

Just a question as to where the vent stack for your drain pipe is? Sorry to see a mess like that with the wiring but I have run into similar situatioons before doing reno work. I have always found with older buildings that it is faster to just gut the entire room and go from there. Older homes are full of things that wouldn't pass todays codes but at the time were not questioned. You can get some spray foam insulation ( the expandable stuff ) around those outside box's to seal them up from drafts prior to re insulating.

Drew