Day 73: OK, all youse geniuses! Help!

Bill:

Nice job on the blocking. Eon's ago I put up 2 x 4 blocking for the kitchen cabinets in the "starter house". I was with my carpenter buddy as the cabinets were going in. I told him blocking was in place. He proceeded to only screw into the vertical studs. So much for all my hard work. :doh:

Funny moment . . . The carpenter had ganged 3 of the upper cabinets together and we were in the process of screwing them into place. A screw was being driven and hit a nail in the wall. The cabinet racked slightly and the glue joints "creaked" incredibly loud. The carpenter says "Oh-we hit a screw" or something. I said "No kidding Sherlock, what was your first clue?" (I cleaned up the expletives :thumb: ) He just looked over at me and kept working.

We were having a beer at the end of the day he makes a joke about how freaked out I was when I let fly with the Sherlock comment. Later I ordered a pair of the the clamps he said was best for clamping cabinets together during installation and had them delivered to "Sherlock" at his address. He thought it was pretty funny.

Good luck with the remainder of the project.

Cheers

Jim

Day 20 --> 37

Our intrepid hero appears to be lost in a quagmire of paint, cabinetry and perhaps a -gasp- a real job. Preventing him from updating his legions of fans who are still waiting with baited breath.

(well, not me, I do brush regularly, and bait isn't that appetizing...)

...art

ps: Hey there, Bill. How's the kitchen?

looking excellent so far, for a guy whos winging it, youre impressing me alot.

this is a reason I dont let my wife read too many threads here.

she might get some crazy idea in her head that hey, why dont you do.....................(and then Im done)

Day 20 --> 37

Our intrepid hero appears to be lost in a quagmire of paint, cabinetry and perhaps a -gasp- a real job. Preventing him from updating his legions of fans who are still waiting with baited breath.
...art

Bated, Art! Bated!

Baited means you've been eating the catfish bait again! :rofl: Merchant of Venice, Act I, scene iii, l. 124. You can look it up! Oh, wait, I did... ;)

This family feels like a shopsmith. Every time I turn around, its been reconfigured for a specific task! This weekend, for example, the house will have seven inhabitants. The gods must be crazy... ;)

Or, at least, I am. Between work, family, other projects (the bed falling apart from a four year old jumping up and down on in, in spite of strict remonstrances from the paternal unit... me!), lingering annoying illness, the whole town going nuts a few days ago... let's see, what else can I blame it on... ;)

But I did get a few hours in yesterday. The cabinets are now fully rebuilt. I'll try to snap some pics when I get home. Tonight and tomorrow, I hope to build the mortar bed for the countertop. That would mean tile could happen sunday. Keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks to all those who have sent public and private best wishes and inquiries of concern. Yes, I'm still alive, though its hard to tell from looking at me! ;)

Oh, and if your wife ever asks you to rebuild her kitchen from scratch, just say "Honey, how about I buy you that new dress you saw at the mall? Oh, and lets spend saturday and pick out some diamond earrings for you. You deserve them!"

Trust me: It'll be less trouble, and way cheaper... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Oh, and if your wife ever asks you to rebuild her kitchen from scratch, just say "Honey, how about I buy you that new dress you saw at the mall? Oh, and lets spend saturday and pick out some diamond earrings for you. You deserve them!"

Each poor husband (sucker) has to learn this in their own special way...and you're still on your journey. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Can't wait to see the pics...:lurk:

....................Oh, and if your wife ever asks you to rebuild her kitchen from scratch, just say "Honey, how about I buy you that new dress you saw at the mall? Oh, and lets spend saturday and pick out some diamond earrings for you. You deserve them!"

Thanks,

Bill

Yeah, but she WILL get around to wanting the kitchen done, trust me :doh: :D :wave:

So as far as kitchens... I'm good. ;)

Hey, Folks,

so far as kitchens go, I ain't... but I may as well keep going... ;)

I did take some pics. At least the cabinets are back together!

cab 001 (Medium).jpg

cab 002 (Medium).jpg

You can see, there's a problem. There's a space bettwen the sink cabinet and the corner cabinet. 7" is hard to hide. :doh:

cab 004 (Medium).jpg

solution? Build a new one. Doorlink's been storing bags and things there, but she may have other plans.:huh:

cab 003 (Medium).jpg

still need to make the face frame. That should be fun, as there's no room for error. Had to make a new kickplate to bridge the space. One coat of poly gives a good match for the finish:

cab 005 (Medium).jpg

And then there's this: it's a wierd feeling... it doesn't feel or look like a woodworking shop, and I sure don't feel like a woodworker these days... but I guess it matches what I need to do... :dunno:

cab 006 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Sorry bill:)

to hear that things are gettin tuff on ya,, but i do have a solution for yout 7" space you found, use the existing sides of the prior cabs and just make your slef a face frame to fit inbetween with a new door..it will work for cookie sheets or the bags and look like it was planned that way.. you can clamp the two face frames together and screw from opposite sides one unit again!

Bill, have you thought about utilizing the left over space for a pullout spice rack? There may be just enough room for the spice rack.

Attachments

• Spice Rack.jpg
    Spice Rack.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 27
I think the photo of your shop says it all. Been there and I know the feeling. Sometime in order to fool myself that I have control of situation I will stop everything and pull the shop together so that I can at least find something I need. It seems to help.

And then there's this: it's a wierd feeling... it doesn't feel or look like a woodworking shop, and I sure don't feel like a woodworker these days... but I guess it matches what I need to do... :dunno:

Eek! Looks like you're working hard, Bill! But yeah, you may need to stop and clean at some point, or you're going to have trouble finding things.

Hey, it looks like you've got the same scroll saw as I do, and it looks like you use it about as often as I do. :rofl:

As for the 7" gap. I was going to agree with Larry about the cookie sheets. Those need a spot. But that pull out sliding spice rack (or similar) is also quite a good idea.

Looks like some good progress, Bill!

Bill, What about shifting the dishwasher down and moving the smaller cabinet next to the sink cabinet? Would balance out the look. Might even replace the facades with some column like features, but still hinge for storage or slider for spice rack(s).

Last edited: