The Farm Shop

Metal started going on. Had to stop them for a bit as they weren't doing the house wrap. Luckily they only had to take 3 pieces back off that had been attached at the top only, they had done house wrap around the windows. I had some extra house wrap to keep them going as the contractor ran and got more, so no real time lost.
2023-08-23 10.21.56.jpg

Pretty happy with the colors, was a bit worried when I saw the sample of red, but seeing it in person is much different.

House wrap under the metal roofing, too?
Yes, to keep the spray foam from sticking to the metal. ;) I may add a lean-to in the future, and should we need to replace metal at some point, due to hail or other damage.

Edit: My contractor did say that a lot of the guys are just putting the new metal over the old in some cases. I asked him go go ahead and still do the house wrap. ;)

Getting closer, one more side, then the corner and roof trim. They will probably will be done with the shell tomorrow.
Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 10.59.57 AM.png

Not sure when the concrete will get done, the contractor has been having a hard time finding someone. It's ok, I want to do some planning for maybe radiant heat and perhaps a future 2 post lift, so need to spec those out.

I need to shop around for overhead doors. May quote having them installed, but looking like DIY will be about $2,500 for the doors and hardware.

And just saw the contractor drive away with all his equipment, so must be done.
Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 9.57.55 AM.png

I worked a bit updating my plans, moved doors and windows to their actual spots and sizes. The room sizes are both 12' x 12' inside. I still need to do a floor layout of a few larger pieces, such as her grandpas hardware cabinet, the welders, and decide where the reloading equipment is going. I might as well fill most of the walls with cabinets and forget parking the truck in there, it's all getting small real quick. ;)
Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 2.36.05 PM.png

Been dragging out the excess fill from inside with the box blade and FEL on the tractor to get ready for some 3/4" fill. I've been putting the extra fill around the outside of the building. The insurance agent just asked for pics of 4 sides finished, so this post is a two-fer as I needed to re-size pics anyway. ;)
IMG_5833.jpegIMG_5832.jpegIMG_5831.jpegIMG_5830.jpeg

Last edited:
Now you need an awning for your service door. May I suggest? (if you click on the picture, it should show many more hoods, styles and ways to fix to the building)
Nice! My wife and I did discuss adding a lean-to over the door and around the corner, but materials were already ordered. Part of the reason I insisted on the house wrap, to be able to pull the metal and do the lean-to later. I do like that idea though.

Well, I spent the evening clearing out the shop. I will be ordering a couple of loads of gravel tomorrow. Concrete guy wants to work on getting the fill and rebar in Wednesday, hoping to pour on Thursday or Friday. Cost is a bit higher than I was expecting, but so far most of it has been. ;) :dunno:

Doors will go on order later this week. Waiting on the spray foam bid too.

Got 34 yards of gravel sitting on the drive, no contractor, but we are getting some pretty heavy rain today. Maybe he's planning on coming tomorrow.
Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 3.00.35 PM.png

Also got the garage doors ordered, says they won't come until around the end of the month. Probably should have ordered them a few weeks back. I'm thinking about doing the side mount openers on them, at least the end one. Anyone using that style? It looks like they would be easier to setup and mount, also a bit more secure with the auto door lock.

Anyone using that style? It looks like they would be easier to setup and mount, also a bit more secure with the auto door lock.
That is what I am going with. I have a young friend of mine that put them in his Barndo and he said they were the best. He got the wifi ones and he can open or close the door from anywhere in the USA.

P.S. My Concrete guy is going to poor next week :woot:
:bliss::bliss:

I don't guess I updated this, but he was here today putting in gravel and wire mesh. We went back and forth on using the 6 gauge wire mesh over re-bar, but he convinced and assured me that he'll pull the mesh up into the concrete as it should be, will add some extra in the last parking bay where the truck will be parked time to time. He was going to pour tomorrow, but his help had something come up, so looking like Friday. He'll be back on Sunday afternoon to score it.
IMG_6153.jpeg

He said it should be stable, he had a heck of a time driving in the 1’ pieces of rebar he used for getting the gravel to grade
IMG_6155.jpeg

Also having a small pad put outside the man door for now. At some point I may do the parking pads outside, but since the county assesses concrete for taxes, it may never be either.
IMG_6156.jpeg