The Farm Shop

One thing you might think about is Radiant heat in the floor. I did that at the old place and will never build another floor with out it. Best money I ever spent. Just ordered a system yesterday for the new build from Radiantec
Very nice, and yes, since we have the outdoor wood boiler, I've been planning what I need to to do for adding additional zones to it. It basically just needs a new header added off the top of the boiler and to extend the outlet to add a couple extra pumps.

I had already been looking at adding the new greenhouse with a radiant floor under pavers, and a hydronic coil in the garage. I'm not sure we're going to keep the baseboard heating from it in the house, opting for something easier for my wife to run/control, aka propane. So I may move the boiler to centralize it behind the garage, and closer to the new shop for heating them. The old propane stove from the house will probably also move to the garage. I'll most likely put a ventless propane heater in the basement for backup heat.

Final colors picked today so he can get metal ordered. Went with a Rustic Red for the siding, Charcoal for the roof, and Brilliant White for the trim. I asked him to put house wrap on prior to metal. Since we're having it spray foamed, I didn't want the foam stuck to the metal. I think we'll add a lean-to down the road and overall it will make metal replacement easier if need be.
IMG_5031.jpeg

I removed the barb wire fence out at the road last night (across from our culvert), pulled the posts, and regraded to allow my contractor a better way to pull his equipment in and out. This area will become part of the driveway with a turn around spot. We get a lot of folks that drive in this far and didn’t mean too since there isn’t a good spot to turn around. It’s been a sore spot with our mail lady too as she has to leave turning left.
IMG_5190.jpeg

Excavation started this morning. He's got a truck load of plant waste coming around 11:00, so he's scraping the top soil and re-grading in front of the existing garage to create a drainage swell there to help keep the garage dry.
IMG_5193.jpeg Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 9.48.59 AM.png IMG_5194.jpeg

He’s got a roll-off dumpster business as well, he has a separate platform that he can load equipment on to haul with it. It was quite interesting to see him tilt and slide it with that dozer loaded on it to the ground.
IMG_5195.jpeg

They rolled in at 6:30am and just left at 10:00am as it's getting hot already, headed to 97* today, 80% humidity. All the trusses are on, and half the purlins on top, finished up the last of the poles for the end & man door, and purlins on all the walls.
Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 10.18.25 AM.png

I have requested that they house wrap all the sides and roof, since I'm spray foaming the interior.

Last edited: