Having a go at another vase

wowser, that is one beautiful piece of turning.

we are up that way a few times a year, as we enjoy going to waterloo which is what, 30 minutes or so from there?and now ofcourse I dont recall the name, but we always hit the amish or maybe its mennonite grocery store in seneca falls, souders? always love their selection of sugar free stuff as well as the food products, and lunch ofcourse is always good .

Im going to have to make it to that gallery, looks like some impressive work there.

since Im totally unaware of prices, what kind of price sticker do you put on a piece like that? if you can answer, I understand thats a touchy subject./

again, that is one doggone fantastic piece you turned.
Hi Allen.

Thanks for your kind comments and your question.
The store you visit is https://www.saudersstore.com. Their parking lot is always full 6 days a week, great place.

On your question about pricing, it is always an issue. The bigger issue however is getting a following that in turn brings a better price point for the maker and the gallery.
I started with https://www.skaneatelesartisans.com less than a year ago and have sold several segmented bowls so far with the gallery. Currently I have two vases there that I hope will move as the summer traffic in Skaneateles. So far my items have been priced under 4 figures. In the gallery in general the $$ range from pocket $$ to above 4 figures. The gallery there shows a ton of great stuff from folks with some real talent. If you get to the gallery there it is an experience. Teresa, the owner is an artist in here own right. Skaneateles, the town, by itself is a very neat little town with a big personality sitting on one of the beautiful Finger Lakes. From Waterloo to Skaneateles would be 30 to 45 minutes . Parking in Skaneateles is tough............everybody goes there.

The pictures here are some of my bowls at the gallery https://www.skaneatelesartisans.com

Respectfully
calabrese55

Attachments

• IMG_2023-08-20-13-52-16-138.jpg
    IMG_2023-08-20-13-52-16-138.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2023-08-20-13-51-58-032.jpg
    IMG_2023-08-20-13-51-58-032.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2023-08-20-13-51-56-253.jpg
    IMG_2023-08-20-13-51-56-253.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2023-08-20-13-52-16-138.jpg
    IMG_2023-08-20-13-52-16-138.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 13
It's been my personal experience that the world of art and what someone is willing to pay is 2 different things
I handled my mothers estate after she passed
She didn't have much but 20 years before her death my mother and her husband collected art
A lot of Leroy nieman and other popular artists at the time
She would have been very dissapointed when we tried to sell her art and the prices we were offered

And I've been to many galleries probably 3 dozen since I started woodworking along with dozens of craft fairs and shows

beauty is in the eye of the beholder but sometimes sticker shock makes up one's mind

Best of luck with the sales hope you knock them out of the park
They are quite something to look at as far as quality and craftsmanship

It's been my personal experience that the world of art and what someone is willing to pay is 2 different things
She didn't have much but 20 years before her death my mother and her husband collected art
She would have been very dissapointed when we tried to sell her art and the prices we were offered

And I've been to many galleries probably 3 dozen since I started woodworking along with dozens of craft fairs and shows

beauty is in the eye of the beholder but sometimes sticker shock makes up one's mind

As we say in the hood you have mad talent

As we say in the hood you have mad talent
Thanks Allen
What you say is certainly true. Anything I sell through the gallery is not mush more than walking around money especially after the gallery commission. Fortunately with or without the gallery I would be still spinning wood and working on the fun factor and a little better skill.
Hope you have a great summer.
calabrese55

Back when I was turning polychromatic segmented hollow forms and bowls I used a booklet from Bridge City Tools to set the compound angles on my miter saw. I still have that book somewhere but I couldn't lay my hands on it this morning to provide you with the title. I would still have to make test cuts and bump the saw to get the bevel and miter just right. I used a sliding compound miter saw for this task.

Here are a couple of examples of bowls I turned using compound mitered staves. The first is in maple with a walnut bottom and the second one is bubinga

Attachments

• IMG_5013 mod  (Custom).JPG
    IMG_5013 mod (Custom).JPG
    95 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5015 mod (Custom).JPG
    IMG_5015 mod (Custom).JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 3
  • f8f2.jpg
    f8f2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 3
  • d147.jpg
    d147.jpg