Having a go at another vase

I'm always torn on this. I've always sanded the interiors of hollow vessels to at least 220 grit, but only the places that can be seen, or touched with my longest finger. These pieces have always been solid wood, not segmented. On the other hand, I once had a chance to handle and examine a piece by Malcom Tibbets and the inside (non-show) part of the piece was a lot rougher than I'd expect from the master of segmented turning. Similar story with another advanced segmenter who was a friend of my family, Hillard Gerhardt.
By being lazy I was referring to the look of material to be removed, leaving it in very rough cut condition or not trimmed,

See this PDF for example

I agree on finish, a completed surface should be finished to the best of your ability, I don't subscribe to the often trotted out mantra by 'professional' turners' that they don't have time to finish the 'hidden' areas; leaving internals and chuck mountings etc. on bases.

On any hollow pieces that I turn I make up sanding sticks to suit or use various mops to get down to 240 grit wherever possible.
On segmented pieces if internal access is likely to be a problem I finish sand, seal and polish internals of the various sections as I go before glue up.

I always say:-
Regardless of whether an individual likes your design or style of turning, if the finish is perfected they at least have to acknowledge that aspect.

Thanks for the comments, afraid the web site is very dated these days, it was started in the days before mobile devices were the norm and coding does not cater for differing display formats.
I'm too old now and getting to the end of my journey to have the drive to recode it all or transfer it to another web design package.
A rose by any other name.................

Mike that is some beautiful turning. You do your thing and finish as you like and we will all enjoy the fruits of your labor.
David
Thank you David for your kind words and the encouragement. I have been wood working for many years but I am pretty new to turning with the delivery of a new lathe about two years ago. This whole turning thing is a real conundrum for me. On one hand I love the possibilities and the challenge of doing something new and different. On the other hand turning has presented its ugly head several times with the only result of adding to the land fill pile where I live. I have learned the hard way that what goes around sometimes ends up looking like a top spinning and bouncing on my shop floor :ROFLMAO:
Thanks again for looking in.
mike calabrese55IMG_2023-09-23-14-18-01-312.jpg

Finally finished this vase earlier this week. It took me a little longer than planned but finished just the same . It is off to the galley today in Skaneateles NY https://www.skaneatelesartisans.com and hopefully will find a nice home soon.
calabrese55

Attachments

• IMG_2024-03-10-08-41-54-906.jpg
    IMG_2024-03-10-08-41-54-906.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2024-03-10-08-42-12-509.jpg
    IMG_2024-03-10-08-42-12-509.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 15
Thanks all for your kind comments. There is a bit of a side story here that delayed the completion of this vase. Insignificant to the actual vase
I contribute the following ONLY to raise some awareness for folks, ( especially old farts like me), contemplating cataract surgery.

Without going into the whole story allow me to send up a warning to anyone contemplating cataract replacement.
Be your own advocate and make sure your provider addresses a common condition known as DED, Dry Eye Disease. Simply put DED is very very common in most individuals to some degree. Simply DED is where the tear film is insufficient to properly establish and maintain a protective tear film / lubrication on the eye. The significance here is with insufficient eye film the eye is physically changed. Cataract surgery is preceded and critically supported by multiple eye measurements taken well before the surgery date. These measurements are very critical and specifically used by the surgeon in selecting the corrective power of the lens they will implant.
Taking measurements of a dry eye results in measurements that are errant due to the physical changes in the eye from the lack of tear film. These critical measurements, the metrics, are then used by the surgeon in calculations that establish the characteristics , the proper corrections of the implanted lens specifically the corrective power. Using measurements recorded under DED conditions can result in a lens selection , lens power, that fails to deliver a good result .
Please if you are contemplating cataract surgery talk to your surgeon about dry eye conditions before you have the surgery.
calabrese55

Well, I sure hope you got it sorted out in the end. I think your advice is good for any medical procedure and life in general. I would add that trying to learn enough about literally everything so you can make sure folks are doing their job properly is more than a touch exhausting though.

My grandma who’s pushing 100 has terrible dry eyes and it honestly sounds pretty miserable from her describing it. Here’s hoping yours is managed and you got the cataract situation somewhat under control.

Here’s to your next project!

Well, I sure hope you got it sorted out in the end. I think your advice is good for any medical procedure and life in general. I would add that trying to learn enough about literally everything so you can make sure folks are doing their job properly is more than a touch exhausting though.

My grandma who’s pushing 100 has terrible dry eyes and it honestly sounds pretty miserable from her describing it. Here’s hoping yours is managed and you got the cataract situation somewhat under control.

Here’s to your next project!
Thanks Ryan , It is a real PITA basically now I have to start all over again. Without trying to create the perfect pun I am looking into may options :rofl:
calabrese55

With any luck they will put in the right lens. They put in the WRONG lens in my left eye and then tried to convince me the problem was because both eye weren't do yet. When the did the right eye I was able to tell them for sure that they had screw up the surgeon told my Optometrist he had put in the wrong lens but would never admit to me that he did. They did pay for the lasik surgery to correct the left eye but I can tell it is still not right.

With any luck they will put in the right lens. They put in the WRONG lens in my left eye and then tried to convince me the problem was because both eye weren't do yet. When the did the right eye I was able to tell them for sure that they had screw up the surgeon told my Optometrist he had put in the wrong lens but would never admit to me that he did. They did pay for the lasik surgery to correct the left eye but I can tell it is still not right.
Same situation here I came out with pretty much no change in vision from the original cataract. Replacing the lens is out as the surgery to replace it is very invasive. Considering LASIK correction but I am so pi$$ed off at the moment I need to think this over a bit more before looking for another provider. The facility that performed the surgery is a pretty prestigious not a fly by night outfit by no means which is why I went there in the first place. I feel for you especially in that the LASIK didn't get you any great results. The problem is the medical community treats cataract surgery too lightly and practices assemble line work for this process. I had to wait nearly 7 months to get a surgery date then it all went south. I cancelled the other eye with them and they said if you do there will be an 6-8 month wait before we can get you in again.....................SIGN ME UP :bang:
calabrese55

I guess I got lucky, and had the right doctor for the procedures. Had both eyes done - about two weeks apart - with virtually perfect results. Was 20/20 in both eyes one day after the procedures, and at the 6 week follow-up was 20/10 left and 20/10 right. Same readings a year later, and again at the two year mark. Paid for a 'lens upgrade' that gives me that acuity from about six inches to infinity. No readers, or anything. Loving it!

I guess I got lucky, and had the right doctor for the procedures. Had both eyes done - about two weeks apart - with virtually perfect results. Was 20/20 in both eyes one day after the procedures, and at the 6 week follow-up was 20/10 left and 20/10 right. Same readings a year later, and again at the two year mark. Paid for a 'lens upgrade' that gives me that acuity from about six inches to infinity. No readers, or anything. Loving it!
Excellent that is the way it is supposed to happen. Enjoy and protect your eyes always.
calabrese55

wowser, that is one beautiful piece of turning.

we are up that way a few times a year, as we enjoy going to waterloo which is what, 30 minutes or so from there?and now ofcourse I dont recall the name, but we always hit the amish or maybe its mennonite grocery store in seneca falls, souders? always love their selection of sugar free stuff as well as the food products, and lunch ofcourse is always good .

Im going to have to make it to that gallery, looks like some impressive work there.

since Im totally unaware of prices, what kind of price sticker do you put on a piece like that? if you can answer, I understand thats a touchy subject./

again, that is one doggone fantastic piece you turned.