Search results

1. Dave Hoskins

Friday 5Jan24

OK. For those to whom it matters. Yes, this is the first Friday of the year! It's just another Friday to me. Well, actually. All Fridays are just another day unless I'm having a colonoscopy that day. Anyway, Foggy. Rainy. Cool. Kinda miserable weather here. Yeah, I know. Could be a...
  2. Dave Hoskins

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Here's to hoping that 2024 is better than 2023. And, that everyone is safe and happy.
  3. Dave Hoskins

NASA Christmas Tree

I thought some might find this kinda neat. https://scitechdaily.com/astronomical-artistry-nasa-brings-christmas-tree-cluster-to-life/
  4. Dave Hoskins

So Much For FedEx

Went this morning to ship an order. Went to FedEx. They wanted almost double as USPS. I just can't abide that. So, as bad as I hated to do it, I had to go back to USPS. Oh, and the delivery date was the same as well.
  5. Dave Hoskins

Friday 15Dec23

Have the last followup appointment for my cataract surgeries this morning. After that, go see the vampires at the VA. Seeing it is cool and rainy today, probably will just go eat some tamales and watch monster movies with the doggies. Should be shop time over the weekend.
  6. Dave Hoskins

Weird Planning

I suppose I might be a bit of a strange duck as I have no real complaints about the VA. Granted there are times I wonder about them, though. Today will show some weirdness. I have an appointment at the VA Dallas Hospital at their Pain Management Clinic. They are the ones that do the shots in...
  7. Dave Hoskins

Product Shipping

For the longest time I shipped everything out using the Post Office with fine results. Until this year. Never seen anyone screw so much up as they have. And, they continue to want pay raises! Now they can't even get my VA Prescriptions across town to me. So, I finally made a decision and...
  8. Dave Hoskins

9 3/4" Pecan Bowl

Actually finished this up a couple of days ago and just now getting around to posting it. Shame on me!!! Anyway, it's 9 3/4" in diameter, 3" high, 2 1/2" deep and has a volume of 5 cups. I worked several days trying to get the knot hole sealed up good so it would hold liquids to no avail. It...
  9. Dave Hoskins

Another Reason I Don't Wanna Fly Anywhere

Just read an article from the Wall Street Journal talking about air traffic controllers. Apparently they are still having problems keeping people on the job. And, to make matters worse beyond being overworked, some of them show up drunk at work, smoke pot during breaks, display violence at...
  10. Dave Hoskins

Friday 1Dec23

Yeah, I know. Friday. Who cares that they call it Friday? I don't. Why not call it Smenday or something. Anyway, I don't know what is gonna transpire today, so I will stop right here.
  11. Dave Hoskins

Friday 24Nov23

Here the danged thing is. Again. Nothing special going on here. Waiting to finish getting over this sinus crud. Hope all is safe and sound and full after Thanksgiving.
  12. Dave Hoskins

New Captain Marvel Movie

I don't understand why it is not doing better at the box office than it is. Great action packed movie. Great story line. Captain Marvel is still a hottie! She even sings a little in this one. So, all I can say is see it if you can.
  13. Dave Hoskins

Friday 17Nov23

Going to see the new Captain Marvel movie this afternoon. Before then gonna putter in the shop. Need to do some mowing over the weekend. Never know past that.
  14. Dave Hoskins

Happy 248th Birthday to the Marine Corps!!!

OOORRRAAAHHH!!!!!! 248 years of policing the world. Amen, my brothers. Amen.
  15. Dave Hoskins

9" Pecan Bowl

Finished this up late this morning. The walls are a bit thicker than I usually do as the heartwood was a bit brittle on the edges, so had to be careful. Wood has some bug holes but for some that just adds character. The diameter is 9" and height 3 1/4", depth 2 1/2" and volume 6 cups. Wood...
  16. Dave Hoskins

Left Eye Cataract Removal Today

Will be leaving later this morning to get the left eye done. Had tamales for dinner yesterday, so all should go well. Hopefully won't have that pressure buildup this time. I probably won't know how the right eye is doing with the pressure I am sure until tomorrow. Doubt that they will check...
  17. Dave Hoskins

Maple Coin Box

I finished this up actually yesterday. Had some things to do and just now getting it online and posted here. I made the hole 1 3/4" not being sure of the diameter of some our coins that are larger than quarters. The diameter and total height are 3 3/4". The vessel height is 2 3/4" with a...
  18. Dave Hoskins

Small Jacaranda Box

First thing completed since the right eye surgery. The diameter is 3 3/4", total height is 4", vessel height is 2 1/2", vessel depth is 2 1/4", and volume is 1 cup. The wood was sealed with walnut oil. Finishing was done with come micro crystalline wax. The first coat of the wax was rubbed...
  19. Dave Hoskins

Pressure in Eye

Hmmph! The report on the cataract removal on right eye is really good. Though, the pressure in the right eye is now up to 30 micromilligilli whatevers. Was a 27 last week. They are concerned but not overly so. Gave me some drops to put in it 2 times a day to see if that relieves it. I...
  20. Dave Hoskins

Cataracts Removal

Will be off after while to have the right eye's cataracts taken care of. Finally! The waiting period to get it done was 2 1/2 months with civilian doctors and 6 months at the VA in Dallas, who has a 97% success rate. I went with the civilians as I was, or am, tired of the blurred vision and...