9 3/4" Pecan Bowl

Dave Hoskins

Actually finished this up a couple of days ago and just now getting around to posting it. Shame on me!!! Anyway, it's 9 3/4" in diameter, 3" high, 2 1/2" deep and has a volume of 5 cups. I worked several days trying to get the knot hole sealed up good so it would hold liquids to no avail. It bested me. Fill it with water and there is a teeny tiny little trickle coming from it. Oh, well. I felt I spent enough time on it. The wood was sealed with walnut oil and the finishing was with shellac with walnut oil based wax mixed in. I think it was 3 coats of shellac. Will work great as a display bowl for somebody' table.

Attachments

• BLP284.JPG
    BLP284.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 7
  • BLP284A.JPG
    BLP284A.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 9
  • BLP284B.JPG
    BLP284B.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 8
  • BLP284C.JPG
    BLP284C.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 7
  • BLP284D.JPG
    BLP284D.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 7
  • BLP284E.JPG
    BLP284E.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 7
  • BLP284F.JPG
    BLP284F.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 7
  • BLP284G.JPG
    BLP284G.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 6
That's a nice-looking bowl indeed, Dave. :thumb:

Watertight bowls are overrated. What really matters is how many M&Ms it'll hold. :)

I hear ya, Vaughn! The only reason I test them for holding liquids originated from my sister years ago. She bought a fairly large bowl from me and had company over, included me for dinner. She filled the bowl with stew, I think, and was a bit aggravated that the juices ran out a small knot hole. She presumed that I had it sealed shut. OOOPPPSSS!!! So, after that little mishap, I have always tested them. Using water also makes an easy way of determining what the volume of the bowl is as well. So, kill two birds with one stone. Some have asked why I list the volume it holds is you would be surprised how many folks ask me that question. So, again. Problem solved!

She filled the bowl with stew, I think, and was a bit aggravated that the juices ran out a small knot hole. She presumed that I had it sealed shut.

You know what they say about assumed.

Still I hope she has enough of a sense of humor to laugh about it now.. and isn't still stewing on the situation (man I'd NEVER stop with the pun jokes on that one.. really soup it up.. I'd say you had a beef with the bowl.. but you can't cause it all ran out the bottom.. I could go one rofl :rofl: )

Actually finished this up a couple of days ago and just now getting around to posting it. Shame on me!!! Anyway, it's 9 3/4" in diameter, 3" high, 2 1/2" deep and has a volume of 5 cups. I worked several days trying to get the knot hole sealed up good so it would hold liquids to no avail. It bested me. Fill it with water and there is a teeny tiny little trickle coming from it. Oh, well. I felt I spent enough time on it. The wood was sealed with walnut oil and the finishing was with shellac with walnut oil based wax mixed in. I think it was 3 coats of shellac. Will work great as a display bowl for somebody' table.
Bowls are not made for holding anything but the dreams we have when the lathe starts to turn. Nice job great finish even on the knot hole.
calabrese55

If I am in the process of turning a bowl and I spy a hole in it and I don't want a hole to be there I fill it with epoxy.

First I locate the hole on the outside by shining a flashlight through the interior. Once I have located it I place a piece of blue painter's tape over the hole. The tape prevents the epoxy from running all over the outside. Once the outside is taped up I try to position the bowl so that the hole is vertical from inside to outside. Once I am satisfied I mix up a dab of epoxy and drip it into the hole with an implement large enough to efficiently do the job. A round toothpick for the smallest holes; a sandwich toothpick for larger holes; and a popsicle stick for very large holes.

Let it cure and finish turning the bowl. The hole will virtually disappear.

Years back I turned quite a bit of manzanita burl. It was a beautiful wood but it was also quite frustrating in that it tended to crumble as the turning got thinner and thinner. One particular little bowl crumbled in several areas and I was determined to save the bowl. So I followed the procedure described above but darkened the epoxy with lampblack which you can get at a good paint store. You can also use powdered black dye to color the epoxy. I carefully filled all the voids and then turned the bowl until it was finished. Here is the result. It is not the greatest thing by any stretch of the imagination but most people do not realize the black areas are epoxy. Excuse me for the lousy picture.

Manzanita4.JPG