Search results

1. Ryan Mooney

Previous owner "special wiring" and a tip for hanging stuff in drywall

Replacing a fixture today and I go to undo the ground wire, it was crimped to the house ground with this ?thing?. I bumped it and the fixture ground just fell plump out of the "crimp". I dunno where they got it or what they were thinking using this, there was a ground screw on the fixture they...
  2. Ryan Mooney

More taster trays - Last (real) project in the old shop

Last week my friend at Solera Brewery messaged me to say that while the taster trays I made for them 13 years ago!!! were still working great (more a testament to how robust waterlox is than anything on my part..) they desperately needed more of them going into summer. I told him that I could...
  3. Ryan Mooney

On overbuilding

While disassembling my lumber cart the other day I had plenty of time to wax philosophical and ponder the reason I had so much time. The lumber cart was one of the overly beastly monstrosities that never really offered the space saving joy and portable happiness I had envisioned when I built...
  4. Ryan Mooney

New Shop

Just closed a week or so ago on a little 50 acre place down in the Willamette/Oregon Coast moutain foothills. Big upgrade to the shop, well actually this is just the BIG shop, there's another 2000' machine shed and a 2000' "other" shop, and a barn.. We're using the nice one to stage the move...
  5. Ryan Mooney

sawdust on ice for anti-slip

This is one of those things where it kind of seemed obvious, but as I was doing it today I thought maybe it's not and figured I'd pass it along anyway. Anyway, a light dusting of sawdust works extremely well on ice and greasy snow as a way to make it less slippery. Way better than sand imho...
  6. Ryan Mooney

Lace bobbins

A friend of LOML's is trying her had at lace, and mentioned she'd like to have some longer bobbins than the one sold at the semi-local store. Anyway here's attempt #1, we'll see if they fit the bill or not in a week or so when I have a chance to drop them off and she gets a chance to try them...
  7. Ryan Mooney

Bowl feet

In my bowl post last week Jonathan Shively asked for some better pictures of the feet. Well I had a couple of other bowls mostly done or in progress so I thought I'd wrangle them up and try to get some pictures of a few different ideas instead of just the one bowl. I also thought it might be...
  8. Ryan Mooney

Etsy alternatives (list)

I was snooping on another conversation today and this popped up. I thought it might be interesting for some of the folks here who are reselling stuff. They did try to be at least somewhat objective even if they're both compiling the list and are on the list ... i know a lot of folks who are...
  9. Ryan Mooney

Pitter patter.. turned a platter

more cherry, about 11" across and 1/4" thick. This was a cut off from one side of the pith when I cut it out to get bowl blanks from the sides (it was a pretty big tree at the base).
  10. Ryan Mooney

Live edge cherry

from a friends tree, twice turned. fair bit of hand sanding on this one.. four little stub feet underneath so some carving as well. It almost warped past where I could save it. Maybe 3/16 on the walls.
  11. Ryan Mooney

Seasonally appropriate firewood to icicle tree hanger

One of the production turners I follow on instagram (richard findlay) had a skew challenge to turn an icicle tree hanger with the skew. They're kind of fun and I might have gotten a little carried away... I'll see if anyone wants any otherwise I'll be sneaking around to hang them on the...
  12. Ryan Mooney

safety recall on G0584, G0462 and Shop Fox W1758 wood lathes

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2024/Grizzly-Industrial-Recalls-Wood-Lathes-Due-to-Injury-and-Laceration-Hazards Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled wood lathes and contact Grizzly Industrial for details on how to receive a free repair kit, including shipping. The repair kit...
  13. Ryan Mooney

Here's a spinning wheel for you organ makers

Way to cool.
  14. Ryan Mooney

Light refurb of an old D-8 rip saw

As part of a recent auction "mixed lot" I picked up this somewhat rusty Disston D-8 thumbhole saw. Not in the best shape, but not the worst and the tooth line looked salvageable. Here I've just gotten the saw nuts out. A little WD=40 for lubricant and a bit of work with a razor blade and I...
  15. Ryan Mooney

More needle cases

And a small stand.. The parallax is all the camera...
  16. Ryan Mooney

When life gives you six pomegranate plants...

What it has really given you is 36 pomegranate plants... No I have no idea where I'll put 36 pomegranate plants.. I'll probably take another round of cuttings next year...
  17. Ryan Mooney

older braided stainless water connection lines.. semi-annual reminder to replace..

I thought I had replaced all of ours.. but had apparently missed one in the garage. Nothing to terrible, just a bit of drizzle on the floor easily push broomed out the door, but it could have been MUCH worse! The newer ones that are stainless with a braided nylon core are "fine" or at least...
  18. Ryan Mooney

Help ID this wood (mid 1800's spinning wheel part)

A fellow spinning wheel enthusiast has been restoring a mid 1800's wheel we believe is from the mid 1800s probably north eastern US origin based on some construction details. One of the pieces was well past saving structurally so it was sacrificed for the greater source of knowledge and we have...
  19. Ryan Mooney

On the subject of sharp and an old ships adze, bonus antique malt bag

Sorting out a few things out in the garage today and decided to clean up this old ships adze my dad had gotten from my grandpa and then gave to me. I'm not sure on the age of the adze but guessing probably pre-WWII. For things like this I mostly use a flat bastard file and "draw" (or more...
  20. Ryan Mooney

your yearly reminder...

When smoking the turkey don't hang it by the legs...