Work Trailer

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about the security side of it. As mentioned, it will go in the shop or garage at the farm, but will be at the location I'm at, not stored and left.

I had everything in the trailer prior to the 2019 update. However, there were lots of frustrating times when I knew a tool or supply was there, but I couldn't find it in the clutter.:bang: Now, I can go right to them! :)
That is the kind of validation I'm looking for. I've got some craftsman rolling "Pack-out" style boxes and they have worked really well, but I keep so much stuff in them I spend an hour digging for a sheeps foot bar or wrench that I know is in there. I'm starting to realize why dad painted some of his tools different colors. ;)

Looking forward to seeing some pics. I've considered the smaller trailer, just seems the ceiling and door height could be an issue since I'm 6' tall, but I know there are some that are taller inside. Also for the price, seems like the tandem axles would allow for hauling of some materials and/or machinery if I left space for them or had some cabinets removable.

Just like building a barn/shed/garage/shop, get the largest you can afford, you'll grow into it. Plus, at your height, how many times you going to knock your forehead?

I almost forgot, ask Larry which type of trailer gives the best shower!

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about the security side of it. As mentioned, it will go in the shop or garage at the farm, but will be at the location I'm at, not stored and left.

That is the kind of validation I'm looking for. I've got some craftsman rolling "Pack-out" style boxes and they have worked really well, but I keep so much stuff in them I spend an hour digging for a sheeps foot bar or wrench that I know is in there. I'm starting to realize why dad painted some of his tools different colors. ;)

Looking forward to seeing some pics. I've considered the smaller trailer, just seems the ceiling and door height could be an issue since I'm 6' tall, but I know there are some that are taller inside. Also for the price, seems like the tandem axles would allow for hauling of some materials and/or machinery if I left space for them or had some cabinets removable.
Yes, a wider, longer, and taller trailer with tandem axles would be a plus! The 6 x 10 single axle decision was made by what was available that I could afford at the time. :) I'm 5-9 and the door is 5-0, I learned to duck pretty quick! I think in most cases the ramp door is probably best. Mine has barn doors and I think I would go that way again. I often have to park on the street and I need less room behind me with the barn door. Also, when I'm parked on the street, I never leave the doors open and the barn doors are easier to open and close quickly.

Hare are some pictures. If you something more detailed, let me know.
Drawers and tool cubbies
IMG_0158.jpgIMG_0159.jpgIMG_0163.jpg
Cart for moving tools and supplies
IMG_0162.jpg
Harbor Freight boxes for fasteners and supplies. These fit in the same cabinets as the drawers.
IMG_0168.jpg
Saw Cart
IMG_0160.jpg
Storage above saw cart
IMG_0161.jpg
I still have a toolbox of general tools needed for most jobs
IMG_0164.jpg
And since I often work at jobs with no facilities available....
IMG_0167.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 17
@Wayne Eikenberry my wife has been asking me about compost toilets lately and I almost spit soda all over my keyboard when I saw that closet. :D

I was wondering if my harbor freight/stanley hardware boxes would have a home in a trailer and looks like they work pretty well. I also like your saw workstation and cart storage.

I think for my needs I'm leaning towards a 7' x 12' trailer, with tandem axles. My tow capacity for my f150 is at about 8000 lbs and I doubt I load the trailer up to capacity often, probably half that more than 90% of the time. I'll probably go with the ramp since street parking won't be an issue for me. I'll start with cabinets on one side leaving about 5' of space on other side to take the zero turn down this next spring to trim up the yard

I told my wife what I'm thinking about doing and she's completely on-board with the idea as she's witnessed the way I have to load up the truck with tools for a trip to the farm and how much time I spend getting things ready for the trip. I'm still going to put more thought into my needs, but the 7' x 12' is fitting the bill. I'm thinking I'll probably do a ladder rack of some sort on the top or side of the trailer for my extension and tall step ladders.

I'm also thinking about doing a solar panel, battery, and inverter for keeping the chargers and lighting available when I don't have power.
trailer1.PNG trailer2.PNG trailer3.PNG

For years I traveled to the cabin with a passenger van and cased tools in the back. No need to unload on Sunday night, unless I needed to. I had a 6 by 12 open trailer for any big stuff. Fence posts, timbers, firewood. I moved on to job box for the pick up and job box on the 6 by 12. Both are locked down from inside but can be pulled in 10 minutes. Now if one has the discipline to keep the box trailer organized with a path up the center, that would be awesome. I am afraid I would need Dutch doors on mine.

The great thing about a ramp, when you are tuckered out it is easier to pack up. Also, some of those rolling cabinets could be rolled out of the trailer into the barn or garage making the weekend work area more user friendly. Thinking modular work stations. All kinds of options Darren, looking forward to following you on your journey.

For years I traveled to the cabin with a passenger van and cased tools in the back. No need to unload on Sunday night, unless I needed to. I had a 6 by 12 open trailer for any big stuff. Fence posts, timbers, firewood. I moved on to job box for the pick up and job box on the 6 by 12. Both are locked down from inside but can be pulled in 10 minutes. Now if one has the discipline to keep the box trailer organized with a path up the center, that would be awesome. I am afraid I would need Dutch doors on mine.
Yeah, I think something like this comes down to the type of work and proximity of the parking for the configuration that's going to work for them.

Do you need to take side to side load distribution into account? Can't put weight all on one side.
David
Yeah, that is something to consider. I'll most likely have some cabinets on each side, just some will be removable or use one of my rolling carts in there. I'm not sure how much weight all those tools will add up to (started a spreadsheet for some of that), but I'm sure it would have to start getting to the heavier side to really make a difference if I go with the tandem axle.

You ought to start a new thread on that story, would love to hear it Frank. I would be beyond upset if that happened to one of my trailers.
He told me he was given "permission" to take it by a guy I had once hired for one day as casual labor. I hardly knew him and he certainly did not have authority to "loan" my equipment. Neither of them had any concept they had done anything wrong. So completely ignorant I had trouble getting angry. Idiocy is not curable.

He told me he was given "permission" to take it by a guy I had once hired for one day as casual labor. I hardly knew him and he certainly did not have authority to "loan" my equipment. Neither of them had any concept they had done anything wrong. So completely ignorant I had trouble getting angry. Idiocy is not curable.
🙄😯😦😧 Some people just don't get it. We bought a 3 year old gooseneck stock trailer and all of a sudden all kinds of new friends wanting to borrow it. I didn't even know some of them. Said no to all and all of a sudden they weren't friends again!

We're never gonna let him live that down, are we? :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:
I think Larry will testify that the shower indicates one of the shortcomings of a single axle trailer, with ramp. 😂

We’ve had or used a good number of cargo trailers, large and small. The bigger the better. They’re also not all created equal, so look for sturdy construction, as it will certainly be loaded to the max, plus a little more on occasion.

So I've been doing a bit of research on what manufacturers each of the dealers around me carry, Found a few other recommended brands and of the size I'm thinking of getting a few hours away. Still been looking at lots of other trailer builds and making notes. It's nice enough this week I'm going to try and do a mock layout on the shop floor for a 7 x 12. A couple of the dealers have responded with actual measurement information that I can use to see if the 7x12 will work or not.

The other consideration is overall height of the trailer. Most I've found here are 6' - 6" inside, but the rear door opening is only 5'- 9". I have found some 7' tall interior trailers, but that brings up needing to put a taller door on the shop. I've got more than enough height to do so, but just additional expense to do, though it's cheaper than replacing a trailer that's been stolen off the driveway.

Of course my wife started looking at trailer info and came across some DIY RV camper builds using cargo trailers. She's getting me completely off track, but I could get used to the idea of a "toy hauler" RV, but I'm not about to compromise on the space I need for the tools. ;)

I could get used to the idea of a "toy hauler" RV, but I'm not about to compromise on the space I need for the tools. ;)
That is exactly what I will be buying next year, it may end up boing my temporary house when I sell this one until I get a new one built. Only mine will be a 5th wheel I am looking at just under 40 foot length including a 16 foot garage.

The other consideration is overall height of the trailer. Most I've found here are 6' - 6" inside, but the rear door opening is only 5'- 9". I have found some 7' tall interior trailers, but that brings up needing to put a taller door on the shop. I've got more than enough height to do so, but just additional expense to do, though it's cheaper than replacing a trailer that's been stolen off the driveway.
For a year or so our shooting club was using a 5x9 trailer with a ramp rear door and 6'6" interior to haul target frames and other miscellaneous gear to and from the range. For me (at 6'2") the low door height really wasn't a problem. The quick duck to go through was pretty easy to remember and once inside, standing was no problem. And I really like the ramp entrance. Our current trailer is an 8x12 (I think) with double doors in the back and a side door up front. I liked the ramp entrance better, but really appreciate the extra interior room. Also, since I'm stepping up to get into the trailer, I don't really need to duck as I enter, but I do have to watch my head as I exit.

I was thinking that the 6'-6" height shouldn't be an issue, I'll learn to duck quickly. Though there are some 7' ones available from a couple of manufacturers, but may have to go with 7x14 or special order.

I did some quick layout with tape on the shop floor tonight just to get a view of the foot print. The back of the trailer would be the threshold into the shop, the front two sets of marks are at 12' and 14' just to get an idea of the difference. The rectangle on the far left would be the foot print of my zero turn, it's right at 55" x 84", leaving about 26" - 30" for cabinets on the opposite side, depending on the trailer's inside measurements. The Paulk base cabinets are about 24" deep, 32" wide, so about 3 sets that size would fit on the other side.
2021-02-22 18.48.25-1.jpg

I'm starting to lean more towards a 7x14 after seeing that the mower will use up 7'. We'll most likely be hauling back and forth this summer each trip down to keep up with the mowing. Comparing most of the 7x12's to 7x14's on-line the 14' foot trailers seem to be built closer to the tongue and really aren't much, if any, longer.

After chatting with my wife more, I think we'll look at a separate small RV, which will probably stay at the farm most of the time to live in while we're doing renovations on the house. Maybe do a few vacations with it also.

I don't even have a reason to have one, but you guys are making me want one! LOL
Umm road gigs for the band! :D I'm thinking a big one that the side folds down to become a stage, and just look at that VIP section up on top.
589_large_image-sca1-1000.jpg

Brent, this one's for sale near me. Let me know if you want me to snag it...you could come down this spring to visit and pick it up.