New Shop Journey

Suggestions, you may already being doing it. While the trenches for the utilities are open, make sketches and take accurate measurements off known structures, distance from house and depth and general run. Trust me, 5-10 years down the road it will be good info to have. Also, the contractor will sometimes put marking tape for utilities locators 12" above pipes. I held them up when they were back filling trenches and placed some additional warning tape about 6" below grade so I would hit it before even getting close to the pipe/conduit. I knew I would be setting some posts down the road.

It's like Christmas morning.
View attachment 114942
Forms should be ready for inspection by EOD. Electrician will install sweeps and whatnot tomorrow morning. Plan is to have the same inspector visit (we're a small town) take care of forms and electrical trench/conduit so we can go straight to pour.
I had the electrical contractor also install a few spare 1-1/2" conduit stub outs for future power feeding out of the building and also I knew I would be adding wired alarm system from the house.

I'm glad we don't have restrictions or regulations. I'm glad I don't have windows in the shop. Windows are a distraction for me and I don't need distractions when I'm using power tools.

My shop is 100 yards from the house but I still get a visitor popping in to tell me something important like "The mail hasn't come yet" or something equally as indicative of impending doom... It is unnerving to be running boards through a planer and suddenly realize that someone is standing two feet behind me screaming my name...then telling me I can't hear.... uh, yeah, I kinda like it that way. The last time it happened I walked over to the light switch and turned it on and off. I told her to do that and I would look up to see why the lights flickered and she wouldn't have to yell... took some of the fun out of it I guess, but it works...

But no windows. Windows are wall space and I seem to have filled up 1152 sq ft of wall space already in just one year. I get all the outdoor inspiration I can stand mowing, trimming trees, raking leaves, pruning hedges, tilling, planting, cultivating, etc... I gotta focus when I'm in the shop or things could happen that aren't very inspiring except as a motivational documentary about the indomitable spirit of the one armed woodworker...

But, Glenn, the day will come when you stop working ON the shop and start working IN the shop. You will like that day most of all.

Alan

. I'm glad I don't have windows in the shop

I think in my dream shop, I'd like a nice set of clerestory windows all around up under the eave. I was in an old shop building in central Oregon that had those and it was truly lovely, great natural light all around (supplemented by some spot lighting but overall just really nice). And one nice large window on the north side for indirect light where I'd put the saw sharpening bench and for other things where good natural light is useful (hand painting station? definitely the relief carving bench sideways to it). I do like natural lighting quite a bit more than some though.

Slab on Grade foundation sure makes the build go faster. Around here I would have to first pour footers at a depth to accommodate a 24" frost line, then form and and pour a stem wall before even being able to backfill/grade/pour for an interior slab.

Do you think you will pour next week? This build is starting to look like it will really go fast now. Can't wait!

I put 2 windows in my shop,mostly because they came with the building and I only had to direct the guys building it where I wanted them...secondly, wanted to feel not so claustrophobic shut up in a windowless shop.... my shop in Houston was a 9 x 10 garden shed with no windows....
Both are on the southeast side of the building, kinda wish now I had put them on opposite sides for a little cross ventilation.

Last edited:
Slab on Grade foundation sure makes the build go faster. Around here I would have to first pour footers at a depth to accommodate a 24" frost line, then form and and pour a stem wall before even being able to backfill/grade/pour for an interior slab.

Do you think you will pour next week? This build is starting to look like it will really go fast now. Can't wait!
I'm sorry Bill. Knowing where you live and seeing all that beautiful country in your pics . . . I just find it hard to feel sorry for you :D. Color me green :sick::sick::sick:.

Hope to pour Thursday. After actively pushing this thing every way I could for a year it will all be over in a few days (spread over a month. If all goes well the building will drop March 16. Takes about three days to erect. Then the fun starts.

100 amp service (previous shop ran on 50) and a couple of "comm" conduits roughed in.
New Shop (17).jpg
New Shop (19).jpg
New Shop (18).jpg

Last edited: