My Largest Commsion so far - Finished more pics for Rob

Don, I will call around monday and see who has it and will give you the contacts 100' should be big enough for the wholesalers to sell to you. If not I will play middle man for you.

Altar and Ambo - Ohio Style

Hey Don,

I just joined this forum after seeing this thread come up in a Google search. I'm in a similar situation in that I just finished an altar and I'm about 95% done with an ambo for my church. I probably haven't seen all the posts yet, but I'm very interested to see your final products. I'm in the Cincinnati Archdiocese and they apparently have some different requirements than your guys do. First, I had to make the altar square. They cite the latest requirements from the US Council of Bishops as the driving force behind this. In any case, nobody at our Church had ever heard of a square altar. Our priest has a weekly new church FAQ section in the bulletin, so I had him include this so that people aren't too shocked when they see it for the first time. Based on this thread and others, I think each Archdiocese interprets the requirements a little (lot?) different. Also, they were very insistent that there be no inlays or other symbols on the altar. I originally wanted to inlay a cross and later an alpha/omega symbol as you proposed. However, they shot that down.

Regarding the ambo, the key requirements were that it not be so large that it was in competition with the altar and that it be height adjustable to accommodate someone in a wheel chair. I incorporated an electric linear actuator that will allow the height to be adjusted 12" from 48" down to 36".

I wish you well on these projects and can't wait to see how yours come out. I have spent most of my time since early spring on mine, but it has been some of the most rewarding work that I have done. I'll post some pictures when I get them loaded from my other computer.

Take care.

Charlie,
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing your work. Another family woodworker Rennie Heuer has done some church funiture. You might do a search on his name to see some of his work. Your right about differances in differant diocise. I mover here from California and they did things differant there too.

Don I don't know why this is the first time I have read through this thread, but WAY TO GO MAN!!!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:
What a shot in the arm, so very proud for you. Looks good in sketchup, look forward to seeing the progress. So is the cross going to be two 4x4's hollowed from the back side or boards dovetailed together, or ?????? :huh:

Don I don't know why this is the first time I have read through this thread, but WAY TO GO MAN!!!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:
What a shot in the arm, so very proud for you. Looks good in sketchup, look forward to seeing the progress. So is the cross going to be two 4x4's hollowed from the back side or boards dovetailed together, or ?????? :huh:
Jonathan,
The cross is going to be 8" wide 6/4 with the edges beveled so when it's put together it will look like one solid piece of wood.

WellI talked to the archtect and since they be using cherry and maple for some of the trim pieces we settled on Maple. I checked prices from my lumber supplier and was pleasantly surprised to see that 12/4 Maple in stock. $ 6.50 a board feet. 8/4 $4.99 dbft and 4/4 Curley maple $6.99. so all of the 4/4 will be curley..:D