Drones

You guys are a bad influence. Just passed my TRUST exam and got my certificate through Dronetrust.com. Took 15 minutes. I live in an area with a lot of restrictions and would be limited to flights below 250 feet, but that's good enough for me. Now to save up for a drone.

Don't forget to try out the RTH (Return to Home Feature).
that feature is both awesome and scary. It work as advertised but it is scary having the drone take off on it's own at break neck speed. It was down the street last time it tried it and the thing spun around,climbed to a higher altitude then a accelerated to some high speed came to a stop above my front yard turned the camera straight down then gently lowered it self to within inches of where it too off from.

That's why it climbed to a new height before coming home. It happened so quick that it surprised me and I kinda lost sight of the drone for a few seconds.o_O:oops:
Yeah I think it comes set at 400' I set mine as 150 where I have been flying. I need to get out and play with it more. I could send some youtube links of the videos I like if you want.

That's why it climbed to a new height before coming home. It happened so quick that it surprised me and I kinda lost sight of the drone for a few seconds.o_O:oops:
I know that feeling well, lol. You think it's taking off into outer space on its way back home. Especially the first few times it happens. You're flying very carefully and slowly, and then the thing takes off like a bat out of a very warm place. :D Like Jay mentioned, I set my RTH ceiling to a reasonable number like 150 feet or so. Over time I've gotten accustomed to how fast it can go, either on its own or when I put the pedal to the metal and want to get it somewhere quickly.

A large part of how well a particular drone works is the software that's controlling it. I suspect that many (if not most) of the drones on the market are using similar motors and electronics. The real value is in the software that controls it. I think much of DJI's value is in the software they write to control their machines. And although there are some third-party drone control apps available, I think DJI's control apps are about as easy to use as any of them. Also, drones aren't like computers, where the same app will run on many brands of machines. In most cases, the apps have to be written for a specific model (or models) of a specific brand.
I had and flew a DJI Mavic Pro for some time . From my experience the DJI software as slow , lacking features, and used a bunch of background energy on my phone. I switched early on to an app called Litchi https://flylitchi.com. In my experience Litchi is far better than DJI Go has better features and way better visuals on the phone.
calabrese55

Mike I have dji-rc controller which has a screen and doesn't use a phone interface and I am glad I spent the xtra $$$ if is fast. as an added bonus the screen is bigger than a phone.
That's what I have too. I only use the cheap phones and it is not compatible with DJI so that's why I got the rc controller. Glad I did

I have the DJI mini 3 pro - I like it.

As to licenses, the minimum is really cheap - like $5.00 or so and super easy test to get it. All online. This one is a must.

Part 107 is for commercial. Posting drone video on youtube is considered commercial. This is one reason I have not posted drone footage yet.

It is also for drones over 250 grams, as well as some other stuff.

Part 107 is what the paid education is for.

Just an FYI if you are thinking about getting you 107 license here is a free study guide which will show you just what the license entails, I have no idea if it is adequate to prepare you to take the test but hey it's free and if nothing else it will prepare you to spend the money to take the course if you feel you need it prior to taking the test.

I have the DJI mini 3 pro - I like it.

As to licenses, the minimum is really cheap - like $5.00 or so and super easy test to get it. All online. This one is a must.

Part 107 is for commercial. Posting drone video on youtube is considered commercial. This is one reason I have not posted drone footage yet.

It is also for drones over 250 grams, as well as some other stuff.

Part 107 is what the paid education is for.
The $5.00 thing is for registration of the drone, not a license for piloting the drone. Registration is only required for drones that weigh 250 gram or more.

As for the YouTube thing, I'm curious where you heard that. I can see the need for a license being applicable if your YouTube videos are monetized and you're getting paid as a result, but I think the FAA would have a difficult time showing that the drone videos I've posted (with maybe a few dozen views) could be considered "commercial".

I have actually sold my drone about a couple years ago. I got tired of all the rules and remote ID stuff for me it was like paying for a good band and not being able to dance to the music. As far as the 107 I was all jacked up on it but the test stuff was sooooooo darn stupid. All they did was pull sections from the private pilot license test, maybe it has changed since I was chasing it like I said I bailed couple years ago . In my mind there was a bunch of stuff that should have never been in the 107 test, I will give you just one example;
There was a complete section on weather . You were required to read and know the various cloud types and the weather / flight conditions associated. This for a drone or UAS that had a ceiling of 400 feet and distance of line of sight, all you really needed to understand the weather in this flying box was a simple WEATHER ROCK
calabrese55

Attachments

• cloudtypes.gif
    cloudtypes.gif
    64.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 326693521_3333168240346746_4614119574321959813_n.jpg
    326693521_3333168240346746_4614119574321959813_n.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 7
The $5.00 thing is for registration of the drone, not a license for piloting the drone. Registration is only required for drones that weigh 250 gram or more.

As for the YouTube thing, I'm curious where you heard that. I can see the need for a license being applicable if your YouTube videos are monetized and you're getting paid as a result, but I think the FAA would have a difficult time showing that the drone videos I've posted (with maybe a few dozen views) could be considered "commercial".
It's more than just registration.

I will need to go back to my printed paperwork in my drone case for more info.

Correct, it is not a license per se but it is a ?legal? document that you can provide in the case that some law enforcement confronts you to stop you from flying your drone. It demonstrates that you spent some time learning the "rules of the road". Once you complete the simple test you print out the document and keep it with you to show the officer that you have the rights to fly. Actually there is no cost for this.

As to youtube - it is not spelled out so clearly in the FAA part 107 documentation. I did find it but I don't remember where. FAA considers youtube posting to be commercial. I am SURE it is applicable. I would need to go searching but I don't remember where. That is very important to me to be sure about it. When I research that sort of thing I am very thorough in my research efforts. I know I found cases where people were fined some serious money for violating FAA rulings of things of that sort.

I am sure there are lots of youtubers that do not have 107 but they are taking changes. Ignorance of the FAA rulings do not matter. Where it can be a problem is when someone with a little knowledge TRYS to make life difficult for you and reports you to the FAA for not having the 107 and publishing the youtube. Especially if you are monitized. BAM - you get the dreded FAA call. HATERS - are real, they are out there.