Cedar bird houses

The 'protecter' is the metal ring that goes around the 1½" hole. It keeps the squirrels from chewing it.
I'd never seen these rings ... they're on my Amazon wish list now. I have a couple of birdhouses here that are chewed up pretty badly by squirrels wanting in thru' a too-small hole.

cheers

Anything generic like a face or a an animal even if it's a breed is much easier to make then a character / face like a barbie
An artist can make a birdhouse and paint Barbie's face in it but I'm not an artist and layering wood to make the face is how I intended to make it
I finished it out the eyelashes on and hung it on a tree in the yard
Only me my grandson and the gardener will see it
We don't entertain in the backyard anymore

I have around 4 feet of pine left and I don't make much out of pine so I think I'll make a doggie face and make that a birdhouse

After we get back from our week away I have real projects lined up

i gave one of the cedar birdhouses to my late neighbors wife today, I was chatting with her and she mentioned out of the blue something about a cardinal keeps coming into her yard and she is going to buy a birdhouse to see if it nests there, so I gave her one......she was thrilled.

on another note, I was so disgusted what she told me. my friend, her husband, passed away last year from 911 related illness, he had cancer and eventually it ate away at his heart valves. with all the money floating around for victims of 911 she told me she now has to pay for her health insurance. disgusting, her husband gave his health and life for this state and city and now they just forget family members. like I said, Im disgusted with nyc

it all blew up in my face last night. around 9 pm my daughter text me, dad, not sure if your awake, we can talk in morning when I drop off baby.....do you have any birdhouses or feeders left? Id like to have them for auction for student council fundraiser......when she asked me a month or so ago when I first made them, she never got back to me. so Ive given alot of them to friends and family.
then around 11 pm, my son, he likes to text me late night, he thinks hes funny, but he knows Im up.....he had a friends gathering, party at his home last weekend and everyone was asking him how much for the birdhouse or b irdhouse, noone knew his father made them, they wanted to know where he got them from.....really? like any garden store or any tourist area or any dept store or craft place....whatever....so he asked me if I wouild consider making some for his friends, they will pay. but I dont sell to friends or friends of family, never did never will....Im flattered someone appreciates something I made...
so I told him, first, take them down, I need them for his sister to raise money for student counsel....then I went in my yard and took down one I had there. the 2 feeders I have saved for my niece and b uddy(they dont live close by), I will remake eventually, and told my daughter not to hange the ones I gave her.....so she has plenty for mays sale....I wont be home next week and Im not going to be pressured to rush to get them out the following week.

I dont mind the extra cedar Ill need to purchase...Im not making anymore feeders, the birdhouses I have all the template pieces made and I can make a bunch of them together over a week or so once4 I get the lumber.

then Im done. Im sure my daughter will take elmos cousin and the yellow bird one also. this morning I put hangers on all the ones I have here.

she promised me she will easily raise way more then I wanted her to get.told her its not worth it if they dont bring in at least 50 to 60 bucks each. she said, will get way more.

not 100 percent sure, but I believe each piece will have a box in front of it, and you purchase raffle tickets for whatever, and put them in the box in front of the unit, then at end of day they pick a winner for each unit.

people are a b it more generous since its raising money for their children.

over the past 10 years they have done well with the few things Ive given them.

so now I have to remake enough to the people I promised one too. should have kept my mouth shut.

Ive already gotten 3 requests for dog birdhouses, but different b reed....funny thing is the breeds they want, I have a pattern or two that will be easily enough to alter for their breed. like beagle orshistsu, or ofcourse terrier.
I think a few of the people are cheap and might be taking advantage of my good nature....they know I dont charge anyone I give my stuff too.

not all that want will get one. let them support another woodworker in their area if they want one. is that mean?(the cedar isnt cheap, it runs me around what, 15 or so for each unti without a hanger)

My daughter brought in only 4 yesterday
To show I'm guessing the other teachers affiliated with fund raising
She left them in the lounge and came back 3 were gone

Seems a few teachers saw them and wanted them so just took them
I don't have a problem with that as long as they pay upfront for them
Told my daughter retail the bird feeder is 50 and house is 80
She thinks she can raise more so she's gonna make the teachers pay more
I hope so
I'm currently finishing up 3 more birdhouses with the bow ties
They are already gifted out so she can't have any of these

There is only so much I'm willing to do for a fund raiser

no they are just cheap, and slick.

the school nurse took a bird feeder and hung it outside her office on the bar with the nurses office sign.

it seems 4 teachers want to ;purchase one, but my daughter didnt want to get started with that because she felt she might be able to raise alot more with a raffle , I believe its something like exhibit night, and all the parents and teachers are in school...whatever.

I told her last night, sell them outright, she has 8 of them right now, if she needs a couple more Im almost finished with 3 more, but 2 of them I already promised, but hey, the promised ones can go to charity for now, Im not thrilled about continuing to make them, but for my daughter, to raise money for her student council, this will be the last time.

She's killing me
She sold all the bird feeders and both Elmo birdhouses(one is hung in her yard she's selling it)
She asked me for more days several other teaches are interested
I just can't because I'm not buying anymore wood and I need to make for the people I took back

I had this cardinal bird feeder hanging outside my shop I had to take it in in the rain and touch it up she sold it as a sample for 40 bucks all birdfeeders were 50 and all teachers paid already surprising to me all those cheapskates
Ok maybe I shouldn't insult them but this isn't the first time I've done charity work for the school

So these 3 I just finished are going out I just want the sikkens finish to vent off a bit so they don't smell

I'm making a snoopy birdhouse today but afraid to show it to her because she'll tell me oh dad can I have 5 of them

Attachments

• IMG_3608.jpeg
    IMG_3608.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3607.jpeg
    IMG_3607.jpeg
    478.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3606.jpeg
    IMG_3606.jpeg
    412 KB · Views: 10