Cedar bird houses

allen levine

When you're locked up for a month or so with covid and it's nasty after effects one must stay busy

Built these cedar birdhouses from a picture
I made an extra part of each part so I can just trace and cut for more

Definitely not fine woodworking but fun to make
I still have alot of outdoor rated ply so used it for the back and the black lucite as a bottom
Bottom slides out to clean out bird house

Want to see if I have some deck sealer then I'll attach some eyes

Attachments

• IMG_3551.jpeg
    IMG_3551.jpeg
    468.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3552.jpeg
    IMG_3552.jpeg
    433.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3553.jpeg
    IMG_3553.jpeg
    501.3 KB · Views: 22
those are really cute. Birds will love them. What size opening for the front? The bird houses I built call for a 5/8 hole for blue birds but sparrows still manage to find there way in and evict the good birds.
David

I looked at a chart and decided it didnt look right. I believe I went with 1.5 inch, or 1 and 5/8 th....I could look at the bit tomorrow. how can a bird fit in a 5/8th hole....that seems reallly tiny.my pen is half inch round, cant imagine any bird fitting in a hole that size

just thought more about it, I think I went with closer to 2 inches. made the mouth porportionate with the rest of the face. I dont know if people look at a birdhouse like this as an actual home for birds or more like a yard or garden ornament. like putting a gnome in your garden, whether you believe it brings luck, some just like the look....

Last edited:
1 and 7/8th Just came out to start the day

2 are ready to go

I'm just waiting on brackets I ordered to make hanging simple and quick
I sent out some pics and already got several requests for purchase and I think I might be swayed this one time to make them for purchase
But I don't know what to charge
I will never get what my time is worrh
I figure 2-3 hours each one
12-13 dollars each one cost me in materials
The brackets are 7 bucks each

I mentioned 60 to someone and told them the bracket is 8 bucks more and they said they will come today so I'm thinking 60 is fair
Disgusting I can't make 25 dollars an hour for what tiny skill I have and I'm not claiming I'm a craftsman but I have the tools and patience

Once I post them I'll see how many requests I get

Elen says too cheap but I'm torn between getting what my time is worth and giving a gift to someone who really appreciates the piece only friends and I hate charging friends

And I can offer any color eyes and if a beard isn't liked I can put a red or any color bow tie on him
Do you think I can get an extra 25 for customizing it to someone's preference?hehehe

Attachments

• IMG_3555.jpeg
    IMG_3555.jpeg
    442.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3556.jpeg
    IMG_3556.jpeg
    399.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3557.jpeg
    IMG_3557.jpeg
    394.7 KB · Views: 9
I ran out of cedar so used pressure treated for sides outdoor plywood for backs and pressure treated for sidewalls
Last 2 and I'm done with these
That's a total of 8 birdhouses and 8 bird feeders
I have 2 bird feeders I haven't let go of yet in case my nieces or nephews want one
I'm not up to making some for a local charity they don't seem to think my time is worth anything and of course they will sell way too cheap

I did have a request for a Barbie birdhouse

I don't know if it's possible with my lack of artistic flare but I have just enough pine and I'll use pressure treated for none painted surfaces

If it doesn't come out usable it's fire pit wood
No harm no foul I have little else to work on the next few weeks

Attachments

• IMG_3567.jpeg
    IMG_3567.jpeg
    458.5 KB · Views: 8
For those building birdhouses, I found the protectors posted below to be real beneficial. We had a problem with squirrels and other birds pecking around the hole, making a mess of it. Have had no problem since using these.

Protector

instead of purchasing a protector, as all it seems to be is a hole 1.5 inches wide, why not just cut the hole 1.5 inches?

I dont sell anything, and I like to not spend money especially when I make so many things....Im guessing people who purchased oversized holes on birdhouses this is an easy fix.

instead of purchasing a protector, as all it seems to be is a hole 1.5 inches wide, why not just cut the hole 1.5 inches?

I dont sell anything, and I like to not spend money especially when I make so many things....Im guessing people who purchased oversized holes on birdhouses this is an easy fix.
The 'protecter' is the metal ring that goes around the 1½" hole. It keeps the squirrels from chewing it.

Failure
I won't throw it in burn pile as I'm sure someone will take it from me
Elen says it's too scary for the birds

So I'm calling it scary barbie

Nothing is glued
Hair isn't set
Need a pink barrette for hair
And I have eyelashes to out on once I glue and pin it all together

I'm a bit embarrassed to post this but it is what it is for lack of anything better to say

Please don't insult me I know how funny and amateur it looks

I tried and I'll stick to the other 2 cedar styles

My daughter wants to know if I'd make 6 cedar birdhouses for charity money raising for student council
The wooden dog planters I made her auctioned off well at over 50 bucks each
Originally I thought she didn't raise enough but I misunderstood

I'm thinking about it

They will cost me somewhere around 15-18 bucks each and she thinks she will get at least 50-60 bucks each

I'm thinking about it

I've done woodworking for charity 4 or 5 times
All for local school districts once for a little kid who had rare disease

Don't laugh it was all from scrap and leftover spray paibt

Attachments

• IMG_3568.jpeg
    IMG_3568.jpeg
    396.3 KB · Views: 12
Eh a little comedy on the board won't hurt anyone

I'm still waiting on 70 degree weather to melt down plastic in my oven so I can open up all the windows

No projects on the horizon
My wife wants a design wall for her quilting
2 foam insulation boards hung up with felt covering and a frame
An hours worth of work
So I guess I will start cleaning every square inch of the shop wax all beds
Toss a lot of scrap

Not sure if I can tolerate nothing to do besides babysitting till summer