Sanding Internals of small projects

I use slotted steel mandrels of various lengths and diameters to sand the inside of all kinds of things including drilled holes as small as 1/2". The mandrels pictured below are 6" long and I have others that are up to 12" long and 3/8" in diameter. I mount them in my right angle drill. They can be used with the object being sanded stationary or under power on the lathe.

Fig. 16- Slotted steel mandrels.jpg

Depending on the shape of the article being sanded you can also use oversized sanding discs cut radially. I normally use a 3" disc cut radially around its perimeter on either a 1 1/2" or 2" hook and loop pad with a soft inner face backing pad. The radial fingers overhang the edge of the hook and loop pad to sand inside boxes with curved interior shapes. This is done at very low speed and the drill is moved back and forth to achieve a smooth finish. The overhanging fingers created by the radial cuts allow the disc to ride up into and conform to the internal curved shape of the box. For smaller items I use a 2" disc cut radially on a 1" hook and loop pad.

Fig 26- Radial cuts on sanding disc.JPG Fig 27- Power sanding.JPG

Last edited: