Looking at Laser engravers.

Don Baer

Staff member
After looking at Dans thread it got me thinking about a laser engrave (again).
I have 2 Creality 3 D printers and I am happy with the results so I am looking to them for a Laser engraver. I can get This one and with the $100 coupon only spend $420 or I can go for broke and get This other one for $1300 and with the $330 coupon I'll be out $1000. decisions decisions.

Might as well go broke, I say. ;)

I think it will depend on what you plan to do with it. I think these diode machines are getting better, it looks like that second one is using 4 diodes combined with mirrors and has auto focus.

The CO2 K40 machines are still about $400 in the basic form, but the table size is limited (12" x 8") and they take up quite a bit more space. They do cut and engrave a lot faster than I've seen these diode machines go.

K40 machines are still about $400 in the basic form
yes I looked at that but after reading the reviews I got scared away. Seems like most people spent more time and money just getting it up and running and I can see how you would be able to add a rotary axis. I don't plan on using it for cutting but it would be nice to have the capability. When I think of CO2 machines I am looking at $3-4K.

I'll be watching this. I don't know much about the newer diodes, but I will be looking to get one to add to the CDB Cnc at somepoint. I know the diode I had was pretty slow, but seemed to work ok. Would be nice to have something that has a bit more power though.

No worries Don, not going to lie, the k40 takes some tweaking to get running the way I have it setup. I just wanted to see what the expectations of the laser were and if it was really going to do what you intend to with it. I see there are folks engraving metal and other things on their diode lasers, so they are capable, but certainly not at the same speed as a CO2.

Don, When I bought my machine in about 2015 or 16 or 14 - I don't really remember I bought it directly from a Chinese manufacturer. I consider it to be similar to Trotec, or Epilog and others out there. Yes it is Chinese and you do not get documentation or a call on the phone, but they are there and they respond to requests and honor the warrenty. Is it built as stoutly as Epilog or others - no. Chinese machines do have their idiocyncries - yes they do.

BUT

Do they do what you want it to do - YES

Built like we want it in good old USA - no

SOOOO - some gives and some takes

Price was talkin clearly in that day.
China had something for me that I want and could afford.
When I bought it, I could not afford to buy domestic.

I love mine!