Firewood Racks

The racks look nice, much better than my t-posts driven in each end of the stack. Our neighbor offered me a bunch of hackberry from a dead tree he cut down, most of it cut into 16" to 20" logs. I hauled two trailer loads and had to leave a few large ones I couldn't load by myself. I've got some large 22" - 30" chunks. I'm debating whether to put them on the saw mill and make blocks out of them for stacking lumber on as hackberry isn't fun to split by hand, then burn the smaller outer pieces.

Darren, does hackberry provide much heat? I've only turned the stuff, but it seemed pretty soft, much like aspen. I know from trying to burn aspen that it's a low BTU, borderline worthless firewood.

This is my second year of burning wood, so I am still a newbie when you comes to firewood in general. I am leaning towards getting rounds cut to the size I need (14") and splitting them myself. Trying to get someone to cut, split and deliver firewood according to your specifications is a chore. I don't know if it is just where I live but dealing with services like firewood providers is a big pain in the you know what. If they return their calls it is days before they do. And when they say they are coming right over with a load...well they might show up hours later or not at all, with no phone call. There a lot of similar stories about service providers not returning calls and everyone just says "it's the Methow". Meaning it is the norm.

I managed it get my load of split firewood cut to the right dimension, but I find I am spending a lot of time re-splitting firewood as the sometimes they won't quarter split it if they they deem the diameter small enough in size. Bottom line the length may by correct but the size of the split makes it a problem getting it into my smaller European stove. Having fed wood into the stove for two years now, I know what will fit and what won't. Some that is probably my fault in not communicating my unique needs. Also, stacking rounds with split wood is a pain. You end up with large gaps in your stack. Anyway my thought process is to control the situation better by just getting rounds in the species and length I need and buy a log splitter and split the logs to the split size I need. Then I only have myself to blame.

Darren, does hackberry provide much heat? I've only turned the stuff, but it seemed pretty soft, much like aspen. I know from trying to burn aspen that it's a low BTU, borderline worthless firewood.
It isn’t a high output wood, but it is dryer than the oak I have, and will provide a good starter for a bed of coals. Our boiler will burn green wood quite well if there is a good fire going, so will do a mix of the two. There is also the pile of amazon boxes we save up all year, every bit helps. ;) :D