Dressing Up SketchUp Models for Presentation

Dave Richards

SketchUp released a new extension called Diffusion. It uses AI to create images based on your SketchUp model and some text prompts. I gave it this model of Tim Manney's woorkbench from Fine Woodworking's Tools and Shops 2024.
Compact Stout Workbench straight
And this prompt: "new pine work bench in an old woodworking shop. wooden floor, tall windows, wooden walls"

In less than 30 seconds I had this image.

Compact Stout Workbench

Not perfect but not terrible considering how little effort it took. I expect the AI will improve with time. Could be cool for making quite images to share with clients.

Like Brent, I've been playing around with the AI features in Photoshop, and have come to the same conclusion. I've been finding more and more uses for it, particularly in creating promo images for the band. It does some things pretty poorly, but others are downright amazing. I can see how AI would be real handy in SketchUp.

I think in the near future most of us will develop a love/hate relationship with AI. It can be useful for a lot of things, but also scary when used in the wrong ways (like influencing public opinion).