Worksharp disc 3D printed

Rob Keeble

So i am doing some research on the worksharp 3000. At this stage i do not have one.

Anyhow the feature i like is being able to see through the wheel for carving chisel grinds.

I am happy with my scary sharp sandpaper technique for normal woodworking flat chisels so really for me this is the only feature i see jumping out at me.

Then i thought pretty sure someone has made their own worksharp.

Sure enough on you tube people have diy versions. No comment on how successful they look ;)

But i thought i dont want a flat platter i want to see through. Then i thought i wonder given its plastic if the 3D plastic printer would do it.

I was then thing of doing a drawing but thought in this day and age somebody probably did it already.

Sure enough

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1879617

These things sell for $19 on amazon.

Wonder just how solid a 3D printed version would be and how it would hold up and how flat it would come out.

I don't have any doubts it would hold up and be flat as long as it stuck to the print bed. I may even print one to test out on my WS3000. One of the things I commented to Carol about at BWII was that I wished it had a reversible motor. I watched Toni struggle to use it to sharpen a few kitchen knives with it. It works great for plane and chisel blades, but when its a double bevel, one realizes that the blade may catch the abrasive wrong when flipping a kitchen knife over and the rotation is heading into the edge of the blade or point of the knife. There are a few areas where you can get around to make the spinning of the disc less of a direct angle, but it's a challenge.

I guess that is probably why they came up with a separate knife sharpening product. However, for a future version, I'd like to see a reversible motor setup.