Worksharp 3000 Sharpener

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Kind of embarassed to say this, but I bought a worksharp probably 10 or more years ago and never used it. Took it out of the box and stuck it in a drawer. Estimating the time frame based on when the last bunch of posts on the worksharp showed up here on FWW, lol.

I have a collection of about 6 or so buck bros quality type chisels that I totally abuse. Just toss em in a drawer, use them for knocking glue drips off things, that sort of thing. Finally they got to the point where it was bothering me so I pulled out all of my sharpening stuff looking at what Gizmo I would use to fettle them up. Decided it was time to try the worksharp 3000. Gotta say, I was impressed. I didn't even try to really get a super mirror finish edge on them, but it pulled the nicks of the blades super quick with the 120 grit sandpaper. I just went through the 120,400,1000 grits and have to say, they shave hairs off my arms and whittle wood just fine.

Including some obligatory pictures.

Should have used it a long time ago.

1699320717925.png1699320751727.png

I have never used the Worksharp device you have. My only experience is with the Ken Onion Worksharp knife sharpening package.

It is amazing at how quickly you can put a razor sharp or should I say scalpel sharp edge on a knife. I use it to sharpen all my kitchen knives and all of the knives I am making. It comes with a variety of belts from 80 grit through 2500 grit. Grits up to 6000 are available for sharpening serrated knives.

You can sharpen other edged tools on the machine as well, such as scissors, pruning shears hatchets and axes. Although in my opinion as much as I like this tool I would not wish to subject it to the abuse of sharpening an axe head.

If the technology from the knife sharpening tool carries over to the rotating disc tool I am not surprised it works well.

I had the chance of trying one at Carol's place, and I think that it makes it more difficult for anyone to screw it up. Making a flat bevel on chisel using a grinder is quite difficult, the fact that in these you are in a way as if you where using the side of the wheel but in a more controled and comfy stance makes it really easy. On top of that you can flatten and polish both the bevel and the flat bottom side of the side with the same machine rather that using a grinder and a bench stone, so jumping from one grit to another is very easy and quick.