What are these things?

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
I found these little round clamp like things in my box of sharpening supplies, close to my worksharp 'parts'. They don't appear to belong to the worksharp in any way shape or form.

Any idea what they are for or what kind of tool they belong to?

Mechanical pencil for scale.

1699463954093.png

Aren't they supposed to lock onto your framing square so you can maintain and mark stair treads on stair stringers? Stair stops or gauges?

I have a set in brass that belonged to my father that as far as I know he never used.

I was looking again and I remembered the stair gauges were hexagonal, not round. I am not sure I am correct in my ID of your items.

Last edited:
Aren't they supposed to lock onto your framing square so you can maintain and mark stair treads on stair stringers? Stair stops or gauges?

I have a set in brass that belonged to my father that as far as I know he never used.

I was looking again and I remembered the stair gauges were hexagonal, not round. I am not sure I am correct in my ID of your items.
Yes, they are layout guides for anything a rafter square can be used for. Typically they are used for stairs or for cutting the tails and notches in rafters.

Round or square doesn't really matter, and for what it's worth ... round is easier to use.

cheers

EDIT : We're finishing a prefab home this year and coincidentally one of my projects was stairs to the basement, so I have some recent experience with these guides.

stair1.jpg

stair2.jpg

Last edited: