weird computer issue

Frank Fusco

This seems to be the place to come with strange computer issues I can't get solved elsewhere. OK, I just acquired two cameras. One a new Canon, the other a used Nikon from my son. The Nikon uses a xqd card the Canon a standard SD. I didn't have a slot for the xqd so bought an external media reader unit. I have used the xqd in it just fine. Then I used an SD from the Canon just fine. Then I used a different SD card in the Canon. The second SD card just would not read in the unit. I tried it in a different adapter and it worked and uploaded just fine. So.....wassup? One SD card worked OK in my media reader but another wouldn't. Color me puzzled. :unsure:

This seems to be the place to come with strange computer issues I can't get solved elsewhere. OK, I just acquired two cameras. One a new Canon, the other a used Nikon from my son. The Nikon uses a xqd card the Canon a standard SD. I didn't have a slot for the xqd so bought an external media reader unit. I have used the xqd in it just fine. Then I used an SD from the Canon just fine. Then I used a different SD card in the Canon. The second SD card just would not read in the unit. I tried it in a different adapter and it worked and uploaded just fine. So.....wassup? One SD card worked OK in my media reader but another wouldn't. Color me puzzled. :unsure:
Edit: FWIW, the cameras are a Canon T100 and a Nikon D200

Clean the files off of the SD card and then format the card in the camera using the camera software. Then try using it again, but just after taking a few photos with it. I think you will find that it works better, both in the camera as well as in the computer.

I've heard of this problem before, but haven't experienced it myself, though all of my better cameras are Canon. The fix seems to be formatting using the camera. My guess is that the camera is a little more careful with how it structures the space on the SD cards, something that isn't quite as well controlled with the computers.

Charley

Clean the files off of the SD card and then format the card in the camera using the camera software. Then try using it again, but just after taking a few photos with it. I think you will find that it works better, both in the camera as well as in the computer.

I've heard of this problem before, but haven't experienced it myself, though all of my better cameras are Canon. The fix seems to be formatting using the camera. My guess is that the camera is a little more careful with how it structures the space on the SD cards, something that isn't quite as well controlled with the computers.

Charley
Sounds good, I will try. The SD card was one I had laying around. It had never been used in the camera before. Wish all these computer folks would do some standardization.

I said: "Wish all these computer folks would do some standardization."
Now I mean it all the more. Oh, well things computer are always evolving and getting better albeit often more confusing. Yesterday I went to that font of all things computer-wise, Walmart ;) to buy a spare SD card for my camera. Well, wouldn't ya know it.......regular SD cards are no longer available. They are now a 'mini' SD card. These are little tiny things smaller than yer pinckey fingernail. Amazing that so much storage (up to many gigs) can be put on something so small. Enneyhow, these mini thingys have to be used in an adapter which is simply an SD card. Of course, to download the mini an adapter must be used in another adapter for use in the USB. I guess that is an improvement. I've run out of acronyms, will stop here and go bang my head against a wall. :bang:

Many of the mini ones come with the adapter for the larger slot. I just bought one yesterday that came with it, but also saw the larger sad cards at my Walmart. Might check around if you just want the larger one.

Many of the mini ones come with the adapter for the larger slot. I just bought one yesterday that came with it, but also saw the larger sad cards at my Walmart. Might check around if you just want the larger one.
Walmart only source in my town. I could get online but hate to pay big shipping charges on something that weighs only a fraction of an ounce.