Weather dot com

Leo Voisine

This is getting insane. I have had weather dot com as one of the tabs I watch and it is on all day every day along with sever other tabs such as family, vectric and a few others.

The advertisements slapped in my face and EVERY click is just getting to be too much
I need to dump that one.

Any thoughts on a good weather link??

I use Weather Underground (https://www.wunderground.com/) from my computer. I use Storm Radar on my phone, but I think I'm paying for the ad free version of it.

I've started running a pi-hole ad blocking server (https://pi-hole.net/) on my network, which is an ad and known bad site blocker. Basically your computer uses it for it's DSN and it just feeds back a unknown URL for the ad and bad site links. Your browser will load as normal without ads and be a bit more protected.

Some google search links don't work, if link is a google ad or sponsored link and the sponsor is blocked for tracking, but we've gotten used to just scrolling past those for actual search results.

Edit: If you're still running the TruNas setup, there should be a section to install aps/servers, pi-hole would be under those. You'd still need to setup your router to point to your pi-hole server as it's DNS ip address, which would update computer connections to go through it.

I get all my weather, alerts, etc. on my phone - Weather channel and Accuweather. Don't us the PC for that, but weather underground used to be good.

I use three on my phone: RainAware, which looks closely at rain probability within the next three hours; MyRadar, gives me a zoomable near real time radar/wind picture; Accuweather, which gives daily details, a radar cloud map, air quality and an allergy outlook, plus extreme weather warnings.
Redundant coverage, but I find that MyRadar gets the most use because I can tell if a storm system will hit us or slide by. There are things that need to get covered or tied down if a storm is coming. Yesterday there were threats of large hail, but I could tell it petered out before the storm hit.
I don't have a weather station and rely on the apps.
IMG_0069.PNG ,IMG_0070.PNG , IMG_0071.PNG .

I use a combination of WeatherUnderground and MyRadar for forecasts, and the Ambient Weather app/website to see local conditions as reported by my weather station.

I also use Weather Underground BUT . . . I think a judicious use of personal information security and ad blocking are probably key to a better internet experience. Let's face it. As soon as we allowed people to use the internet for commercial purposes (advertising) it became the television of the 1960s. Unlike the broadcast TV of our youth there are tools available to those who have the wherewithal to use them (a not insignificant task). That being said; I never realize how customized my internet experience is until I use some one else's computer . .. Wowzer! You look at all that junk all day!?!

Let me see if I can find it . . . Darn! Somewhere I have a pic of a guy who told my brother he never "accepts" anything from the internet. there were so many extra shells and menu frames on his computer he only had about 5 line left of usable space on his screen. I gotta find that . . .

I like weatherunderground I am pretty sure I connected my weather station into some time in the past.

Right now I have msn weather on. I'll give it a try for a while. so far I like it.

However, I am always on a quest to discover new things do I can learn more.
I will DEFINATELY look at the stuff you guys posted.

I like weatherunderground I am pretty sure I connected my weather station into some time in the past.
I have my weather station connected to both WeatherUnderground and Ambient Weather. My station is Ambient Weather brand and I like their app and website for a quick check of current conditions. I like WeatherUnderground's website for showing graphs and other historical data from my station. Another thing I kike about being connected to WeatherUnderground is that I automatically get a premium account (or whatever they call it) so I don't get ads on the website. Unfortunately, I've not figured out a way to get rid of the ads on their phone app without paying for another premium account.

I use Accuweather and MyRadar as suggested above.

Several years ago I was teaching a class on Environmental Safety and Health. One of my students was a young Air Force weatherman. He admitted that his 7-day forecast was only 35% accurate. He said he had the only job in the Air Force that you could be wrong 2/3 of the time and still keep your job. Of course he modified his forecast within that 7 days so the next day it was usually pretty accurate in the end. I did ask him how it was that he was only 35% correct 7 days out but we're expected to believe climate change is 100% correct 100 years out? He just laughed.

My titanium knees don't predict the weather any more but my hands still do Allen.

LEO..Weather Underground is owned by Weather.com, has been for several years.
Look into, Ventusky,as an alternative. I use an I-Phone, and the wx app, that comes with it, works well.
For my needs, anyway.

Don and I have a similar view on things . . . :D. Our youngest Grandson has been staying with us for a bit. We put off doing the fire pit and marshmallows last night due to an uncontrollable urge for sweet and sour chicken from the local joint which is a favorite for us all. So, tonight it is time to burn some scraps . . .
IMG_0054.jpg
In the words of my four year old grandson . . . "Bring it on, leprechaun". A good time and s'mores were had by all.