Upgrade for an old truck

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, I bought my F350 7.3l Diesel Dually 6 speed manual transmission way back in the year 2000. At the time it was (and still is) my dream vehicle, lol. It came with a pretty standard radio system for the day. A cassette deck AND a cd player, lol.

Well, Can't remember the last time I played a cd in it or a cassette. Pretty sure neither of them work anymore either.

Sharon recently got a new 2024 Honda CRV with one of those nice units that does Android auto. I got a bit jealous and decided instead of using a bluetooth->FM adapter from my phone and a home brewed phone holder that I would just upgrade to a new double din head unit. Thanks to Darrens prodding, he gave me a recomendation for a unit he had gotten previously. Apparently, they had a newer version that supports wireless android auto so I went ahead and got that.

I did have to cut the dash a little bit to fit the new unit, but that took about a minute with a oscillating multi tool. I bought a wiring harness adapter that allowed me to mostly just solder wires color for color to the head unit harness. The biggest pain was running the wires for the rear view backup camera.

If it wasn't for the backup camera, the whole install would have taken about an hour. Crawling under the truck took a couple hours for an old fat man, lol.

Excuse the dirt. My truck doesn't get cleaned on the inside or outside very often. But the last time I took it in to get worked on the tech that worked on it told me to never sell it. He said it was in great shape and that he had one just like it, lol.

Anyhow, I've entered the modern era of sat nav and streaming entertainment in my truck

1712794025425.png

Looks like a great upgrade. :thumb:

Your truck has the same heat/AC controls my '97 Ranger has. :) The radio on the Ranger quit making sound years ago...it turns on and lights up, but there's no sound. I suspect the speaker connection came undone but I've been too lazy to dig into the dash to fix it. If I drove the Ranger more I'd consider upgrading to something like the unit you got. I looked it up on Amazon and I'm impressed with what it does for that price. (Heck, it's got more features than the head unit on my 2010 4Runner, with the exception of the CD player.)

Last edited:
Yeah, the only real issue with this swap was trimming the top and bottom to get the unit to fit. The side plates I got are still a bit thick, and I wasn't sure I wanted to trim the sides, as there'd be nothing for the plates to grip, I might go and 3d print some new side plates that are a bit thinner to make things work.

The easiest thing was soldering the 2 wiring harnesses together. All the colors were a one for one match, lol.