Undeliverable

Stuart Ablett

I ordered these two items March 10th. Amazon told me on March 11th that there was a problem, and that my order was "Undeliverable". I would get a refund in 3-5 days... but

... the tracking info kept coming.

Seattle WA to Windsor Locks Connecticut to Robbinsvilke NJ, to Trenton NJ to finally JFK on March 14th, clears customs at Narita outside Tokyo on March 18th and was delivered thus morning.

All the while I kept getting email from Amazon saying the order is undeliverable, and I'll get a refund.

This same thing has happened to three of the last 5 orders I've had from Amazon USA.

All three of the "Undeliverable" orders where shipped by ECMS Express.

The two orders that made it through without problem were shipped by DHL.

Finally, the package was actually delivered by a postman, good old Japan Post actually handed me the box.
c7770354f15f479e37b16ecafaf0124e.jpg

Sent from my SCV43-u using Tapatalk

Seems so counter intuitive that ECMS Express only ships via JFK to Japan, so that a part from Seattle needs to travel East before flying West to Japan. But apparently it must be cost effective according to their website...or is it?

About Us​

ECMS Express is a technology enabled international courier company that offers end-to-end delivery. Founded in 2013, our corporate goal has been to help our global clients simplify their cross-border deliveries with a stable end-to-end and cost effective solution. We are present today in USA, Europe, China, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong and South East Asia.

I've had the same happen with ups here lately, the package sat "in transit" well past the estimated delivery date, finally got an email saying it was refunded, literally the next day started getting updates from ups and it was delivered a couple of days later. I checked with Amazon on what to do with it, and they just said keep it, sorry it was late.

Seems so counter intuitive that ECMS Express only ships via JFK to Japan, so that a part from Seattle needs to travel East before flying West to Japan. But apparently it must be cost effective according to their website...or is it?

About Us​

ECMS Express is a technology enabled international courier company that offers end-to-end delivery. Founded in 2013, our corporate goal has been to help our global clients simplify their cross-border deliveries with a stable end-to-end and cost effective solution. We are present today in USA, Europe, China, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong and South East Asia.
Never heard of ECMS, but from description, sounds like a consolidator that ships when he's accumulated enough freight to gain another weight break.... consolidators that don't have consolidations from other stations will accumulate all the freight in one place, then determine their total weight to see what weight break they can get... they make most of their money on the spread between breaks. They may only have the one consolidation station.
Very common practice in the logistics industry. When I first left the airlines and went into freight forwarding, the company I joined had two consol stations... headquarters in SFO (actully in Sunnyvale on the peninsular) and at JFK in New York.... I used JFK only if I didn't have enough weight to get a good spread myself out of SF because they also charged me a forwarding fee....
After I left CA and moved back to TX, I worked for a company that set up a co-op consolidation service... smaller forwarders that didn't generate the freight could add their freight to my consolidation to destination and take advance of weight breaks that way...

It is in my humble opinion that the larger a company becomes, the more inefficient it becomes. None of them can hold a candle to the efficiency of a Mom & Pop shop.
That could be true in some cases, years back before they were bought out, EMERY Airfreight was the largest consolidator in U.S.... they were very efficient.
And UPS was also a consolidator at that time, growing and making a name for themself... then along came FEDEX which was basically a consolidator that also used the HUB system in their operation... they sent all packages, regardless of destination to Memphis where it was sorted, re-assemble into destination consolidations and shipped out the next day. UPS realized that to compete they needed to do something similar. Since FEDEX had their own planes, I think UPS eventually also put together their own planes. Both carriers now have an extensive network of planes, trucks and small delivery vans so they don't have to rely on the airline cargo carriers. Although UPS as also partnered with USPS for some deliveries in more rural areas.

Individually to consignees, they may seem to be less than efficient, but from my years in the logistics industry, they are very efficient overall. One package may go astray now and then, but reflecting the number of packages they handle in a day, their error percentage is way below 1%.... and as much as we badmouth the post office, they are using a similar system and handled even more packages/letters per day than either of UPS or FEDEX and even their error rate is also way less than 1%... because it happens to us, we think they are real screw-ups.

I handled and negotiated Letters of Credit that ranged up into millions of dollars... I always sent the documents for the L/C to the various issuing banks via FEDEX, even when I was in the same city as the negotiating bank because they were the most reliable courier company to handle them.