Taper Jig

Sean Wright

I’ve been meaning to make a taper jig for some time, and I finally got around to it. It is is patterned after the Rockler version. It is made from 1/2 in plywood (spray painted).The mitre slot runner is made from a strip of black walnut. The handle was turned from a scrap piece of mahogany. The adjustable hook is also made from mahogany, as well. The sandpaper is 150 grit held on with spray adhesive. The 2 rulers were printed on a laser printer, then I put a piece of packing tape on them. Then I cut then out and attached them to the jig with spray adhesive.

Attachments

• 8D5BC591-46EF-4E70-A1C2-1286F14D04FE.jpg
    8D5BC591-46EF-4E70-A1C2-1286F14D04FE.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 99
  • 46DED44C-FCFE-4144-9E12-AB7ED5787FFC.jpg
    46DED44C-FCFE-4144-9E12-AB7ED5787FFC.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 95
  • B91F6574-E7E0-4637-AE06-824DECE9DC31.jpg
    B91F6574-E7E0-4637-AE06-824DECE9DC31.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 85
  • DDE318EF-6DCC-4587-8806-9294F125D767.jpg
    DDE318EF-6DCC-4587-8806-9294F125D767.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 83
Looks like you're using a combo blade with the jig. I've found that mine works better (less/no burning) with a rip blade. The one I use is a Freud 30 'Glue Line' ripper.

Looks like you're using a combo blade with the jig. I've found that mine works better (less/no burning) with a rip blade. The one I use is a Freud 30 'Glue Line' ripper.

Jim, thank you. You are correct that is a 50 tooth Freud combination blade.i have a glue-line rip blade,too. I’ll give that a try!

Looks great, Sean. :thumb: I used to have some janky aluminum jig I think I bought on the Internet years ago, and I never was impressed with how it worked. (Only used it once to try it out, and got rid of it on the last move.) If I ever have a need for repeatable tapered cuts, I'll look into building something similar to this. I like your printed scale and packing tape trick.

Looks like a real nice jig :thumb:

I've used the packing tape trick as a poor man's laminate for recipe cards and the like but never thought of using it for shop scales. Definitely filling that one away for reference.

Looks great, Sean. :thumb: I used to have some janky aluminum jig I think I bought on the Internet years ago, and I never was impressed with how it worked. (Only used it once to try it out, and got rid of it on the last move.) If I ever have a need for repeatable tapered cuts, I'll look into building something similar to this. I like your printed scale and packing tape trick.

Thank you Vaughn! The trick to the printed ruler, is to print it at “actual size”. If You use the standard “fit” print option the ruler is scaled down slightly and won’t be accurate.

Looks like a real nice jig :thumb:

I've used the packing tape trick as a poor man's laminate for recipe cards and the like but never thought of using it for shop scales. Definitely filling that one away for reference.

Thank you Ryan. I went with the printed and taped rulers because the commercial adhesive backed ones are too expensive for a project like this. If I wanted to spend close to $70 on the parts for this I would have just bought the one from Rockler.

Thank you Ryan. I went with the printed and taped rulers because the commercial adhesive backed ones are too expensive for a project like this. If I wanted to spend close to $70 on the parts for this I would have just bought the one from Rockler.

The other nice thing is that you can print it using whatever scale you want, which could real handy for some things.