Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!

Nothing to add to what has been said already Vaughn, I wish you a speedy recovery so you can woodwork again soon.

I'm glad that your tendons were spared those are bad injuries to heal.

Thanks all for the concerns and suggestions. Just a quick update on the hand, while I have a moment of computer time...

Things are healing well so far. There are four minor lacerations that are scattered from the base of my index finger to my wrist, and one deep V-shaped cut in the meaty part of the hand between the thumb and index finger. The deep cut resulted in a a flap of skin that is (so far) doing a great job of growing back into place. (The cut went pretty much to the bone, so the flap is more than just the outer layer of skin.) I've been meticulous about keeping it all clean and protected. The bandages get changed twice daily after I flush things with peroxide and apply Neosporin to the cuts. I'm being very liberal with the sterile pads and surgical wrap to keep things out of it. (I think I probably own now stock in Walgreens.) I'm also allowing it to get some air for 15 to 30 minutes each time I change the bandages. On a scale of 1 to 10, the pain level is at about a 1.1. I have a split cuticle on the other hand that hurts more than the drill press injury.

I firmly believe I'm doing the exact same thing my doctor would be telling me to do. It's all going to be fine, although it'll still be a little while before I'm ready to put the hand to work in the shop. I'm glad to see that the accident has caused at least one person to think twice before doing something risky on the drill press. :thumb:

Thanks again, and I'll keep everyone posted as things progress and as I get time on the borrowed computer.

I'm glad to see your report, Vaughn, and really happy that it appears to be healing well.:thumb: Hope you're enjoying the rest of your Holiday.

Vaughn said:
I'm glad to see that the accident has caused at least one person to think twice before doing something risky on the drill press. :thumb:

Make that two people, at least :D

dp_fence_clamp.JPG
I had to drill a hole in this chunk of wood, for a quick swivel base for my lamp, and I thought of your boo-boo, so I put the fence on the DP, and used a clamp to hold it in place, took maybe a minute. Just another good reason to have an extra table with a fence on your DP. :thumb:

Cheers!

Another "whew, glad it's healing OK.":thumb:
Guess you won't be wearing gloves in the shop again. You do put your hair back when you're in the shop.... don't you?:eek:

Well, 11 days later and I'm back home. (Had a great trip, BTW.) The hand is healing, and I've kept it from getting infected. Aside from the one deep cut, the others are pretty much minor scratches now. (Although I did tear the biggest cut about halfway open a few days ago changing the bandage.) Still gonna be a little while before I get back into the shop.

It looks like it will leave a nice scar with the initial of my first name, but I've already decided not to add the "M" to my other hand. :rolleyes:

BTW, Rennie, most of the time I do pull my hair back in the shop. Of course, this was one of those "this will just take a minute" moments that seem to give birth to accidents, and my hair was not tied back. By the time I got the drill press stopped, my head was a lot closer to the spindle than I would have liked. It could have been worse than in was, in several ways. (I was also wearing a wedding ring, which I never do in the shop. Back to the "just take a minute" bit, huh?) :doh:

Folks tend to give me gift certificates these days for gifts. After moving into this house and starting to put my workshop together, the first gift certificate I received went to buy this clamp for my drill press. Whenever possible, I am now in the habit of clamping everything I intend to drill with it. Literally a third hand also, safety and handy combined. And not expensive.

Attachments

• clamp.jpg
    clamp.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 25
BTW, Rennie, most of the time I do pull my hair back in the shop. Of course, this was one of those "this will just take a minute" moments that seem to give birth to accidents, and my hair was not tied back. By the time I got the drill press stopped, my head was a lot closer to the spindle than I would have liked. It could have been worse than in was, in several ways. (I was also wearing a wedding ring, which I never do in the shop. Back to the "just take a minute" bit, huh?) :doh:
Good to hear - even though my remark was somewhat tongue in cheek. Getting your glove caught in a moving machine can do a lot of damage (obviously), but getting your head caught can be much worse. :eek: I’m very happy to hear that you’re on the mend!:thumb:

heal up quick. reminds me of my moment of stupidity with the table saw. cost me 11 stiches in my left thumb. after all was said and done, i threw away that almost new blade. my dad asked why, and i told him it had one taste of me already, and i didn't want it coming back for seconds. me? superstitious? nah....

Dude!! I know how you feel...4 years ago I caught a knot in some cherry and ran my left hand thru my table saw. It was a freak thing. 3 surgeries, a bone graft, 65 stitches and 6 months of PT...It works great. I can play barre chords on my guitar better than ever and nose picking is exponentially improved. Get it looked at regardless...I don't remember an MD hanging on your wall ;). Tough is good...tissue damage is worse. An office visit is $85...what's your hand worth? :doh: