Stabilizing a hill side?

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
In front of our house we have a little embankment about 100' long by about 15' wide at a 25 degree angle.

Recently, something called dirtlocker came up on my facebook feed and it seems like it might be a good/easy way to terrace and landscape the hillside.

Dirt Locker

1713716762405.png
The cost for this system would be about 4k, not including extra fill dirt.

Just wanted to what you guys thought about this idea. I really do need to do something, but I can't even imaging trying to do concrete blocks. I've done that before, and while they work, oof my back.

It is an interesting idea and one that would also fit some areas around our house. I notice that it is made of HDPE and my memory of installing HDPE piping is that it needed to be buried to prevent degradation from exposure to sun. I wonder just how long it would last. Of course at my age it wouldn't have to last too long.

Interesting. I've seen roadside areas that were terraced something like that, but using concrete rounds instead of the plastic.

FAQs on their website says 10 year UV protected, and 5 year installation warranty if you follow their instructions, so you should be okay in those respects.

In front of our house we have a little embankment about 100' long by about 15' wide at a 25 degree angle.

Recently, something called dirtlocker came up on my facebook feed and it seems like it might be a good/easy way to terrace and landscape the hillside.

Dirt Locker

View attachment 129549
The cost for this system would be about 4k, not including extra fill dirt.

Just wanted to what you guys thought about this idea. I really do need to do something, but I can't even imaging trying to do concrete blocks. I've done that before, and while they work, oof my back.
A friend did this on a ridge top to widen his ridge. I'll look for some pictures.

This is a timely post. I was also looking at doing a retaining wall behind the guest cabin soon. I was looking at castle/retaining wall blocks, but with the abundance of rocks we have, another solution is certainly welcome.