Spam.... mmmmmm good

During out Tour de Wood, I had the chance of tasting Spam for the first time, there must be some pics posted of that time. If I remember well I had it at Chuck's Rodeckor place. That was a great tour and met great friends everywhere.
BTW. as far as I know the slang word spam to refer to unwanted e-mails originated thanks to a Monty Python sketch in 1970.

I live for the occasional fried spam and cheese wizz sandwich on toasted and buttered english muffins. Hasn't killed me yet
Sounds suspiciously similar to a McDonalds Sausage/Egg/McMuffin :) Not being critical here .... I will often sub in a slice or two of Klik if I am out of sausage patties.

buttered english muffins
You ever see a Thomas's english muffin get moldy, neither have I. I had some in the brad box for over a year when I went on Keto and it was hard as a rock but showed no signs of mold. So let me see processed Meat topped with Processed cheese on a muffin that obviously has some preservatives... sounds healthy to me.

You ever see a Thomas's english muffin get moldy, neither have I. I had some in the brad box for over a year when I went on Keto and it was hard as a rock but showed no signs of mold. So let me see processed Meat topped with Processed cheese on a muffin that obviously has some preservatives... sounds healthy to me.
Could be why I've lived so long. 75 in April 😉

Our plant cafeteria was located right above the department that X-Rayed the product for cracks. Among those of us who ate there, we shared a common thought "Watch the peanut butter and if it's glowing, leave quickly". Maybe the English Muffins fit in this category too. It sure would prevent mold growth. Maybe the Thomas Bakery irradiates their flour.

Charley

I had to check the pantry. We're good for a while.
View attachment 128538
That is more SPAM than reasonable life expectancy at this house.

By the way do any of you guys favor sardines? or canned tuna? A few years ago I bought a case of Natural Catch Yellowfin Tuna in extra virgin olive oil for my wife. She found it to be delicious. It does not resemble that left over cat food that you find in most tuna cans. It actually arrives as a solid chunk of tuna fillet that you can slice up and make a sandwich. If you are going to make a sandwich or some really delicious homemade tuna salad this tuna is as good as you can get if you aren't going to use fresh. Since I haven't caught any tuna in more than 12 years it is unlikely I will be getting any freshly caught to make tuna salad.

The next time I ordered from them I bought some of their sardines. They were good but not so good to be worth the difference in price. I'll stick to my Chicken of the Sea sardines packed in Louisiana hot sauce. I love those sardines with a saltine and sardines are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids and they are very low in calories.

Never been a fan of canned sardines, although canned smoked oysters aren't bad. I used to keep a can in stock for a TV-watching snack(on Ritz crackers), although I don't think I have any in the pantry right now. LOML hates the smell of anything fish or seafood-related, so I have to eat that kind of thing very late at night after she's in bed or when she's out of town (which hasn't happened for several years).

LOML hates the smell of anything fish or seafood-related,
I used to be the same and I know why. I loved my Mom, but she was not a Michelin chef ..... or even close .... and because my Dad's WASP upbringing included wasting no food, everything we bought we ate and it was cooked to well past shoe sole toughness to make sure it wouldn't poison us as it went past it's "time". Fish was treated the same. It wasn't until my sweetheart (and one and only wife) of 46 years this fall showed me how fish should be both fresh and properly cooked that I was able to stand the smell, taste and texture. Fish smells bad because it's old, or it's overcooked. Now I LOVE fish and we eat it regularly if we can get good fresh fillets.

I've tried convincing my wife of that, but to no avail. She just sits there making wretching noises, lol.
My wife loves all things seafood. She grew up in a crab eating family. The first time I had crabs with her family I was just amazed. They had set up picnic tables in the backyard and covered them with many layers of newspapers. Then the crabs came....not by the bushels but by the wash tub full. I am talking about those wash tubs big enough to be a child's swimming pool or big enough to wash a big dog.

Once the tubs were in position you just went and got as many crabs as you wanted and piled them on the table in front of you. I had no crab eating experience and really did not know how to eat crabs. My wife's mother was sitting next to me and she showed me how. There is an art to shucking a crab and if you are good at it you can really put down a bunch of crabs. That said I would rather buy a pound of lump backfin meat, sauté' it in a little butter and savor it with some fresh cornbread.

My wife's family are singularly responsible for the near extinction of the blue crab in the Chesapeake Bay. It took them no time to pile up the remains of dozens if not hundreds of crabs. I like eating crabs but if you were to make a steady diet of doing so I believe you would just waste away.

We were spoiled when we lived next to the Bay. I fished the Chesapeake Bay, the Eastern Shore and all up and down the coast of North Carolina in the sounds, off the beaches and in the Gulf Stream. We always had fresh fish to eat and lots of fresh caught fish in the freezers. We ate fish more than once a week. I think my prowess as a fisherman is why my wife decided to marry me. I can't think of any other reason she would have.

My fishing buddy and I once caught several hundred of those big yellow bellied spots during the fall run. When we got back to the dock we dumped them by the bucket full into a scaling machine. Once they were scaled we took sharp fillet knives and made a cut right behind the gill plates to the spine and cut straight down the body to remove the fillet from those tasty little fish. My buddy brought his outdoor fryer over and we fried up spot fillets until we were stuffed. Man oh man that was some good eating. Those were fresh fish.

We lived on/near the Chesapeake Bay beach for several years when I was stationed in Norfolk (late 60s). I'd often go to the beach after work, catch a bucket full of crabs and boil/steam them for supper. Great meals!