Some New Video Gear

Stuart Ablett

I'm still playing around with doing videos, I'm trying to make one new video a week,
when I can, and to make that work a bit better I spent a bit of money on some new gear.

I should point out that to shoot all of the equipment I could not use said equipment,
LOL so the video is shot on my android phone hand-held it is not the best video, Oh well, I should only improve...

In the video I show the limited equipment that I use for making my videos.

I don't have a lot of gear, but I think I have enough.

Here is a quick List of the gear I have and what I paid for them:

Cameras
iPhone 6s Plus 0 Yen, this is my old phone so...
Olympus SP-570UZ Bought it in April of 2008 so 10 years ago
Victor Everio GZ-MG575-B Bought this one is 2007...

OK I'm not counting the cost of the cameras, as none of them were purchased recently.

ALM mCAMLITE iPhone 6s Plus Case/mount 13,769 yen
Joby Gorrila Pod 9,214 yen
Manfrotto 496RC2 Ballhead mount 8473 yen
These three items were bought about two years ago.

Recently Purchased

Vanguard VEO 2 AM-264TR MonoPod 12,000 yen
Stabilizer Handle 6,900 yen
SlIK ABLE 300 ST tripod 4,000 yen (I got a great deal on this used!)
LED light for camera 1,899 yen -I forgot to show this on the video
utebit Ball mount 838 yen
iPhone "L" Charging cable 799
Batter in Charging Handle Mount 1,799
Shutter Remote 709 yen
5m mic cord 1,599
Lav mic for iPhone 980 yen

Total 62,979 yen or about $595 US

Please consider that three of the items were purchased over two years ago, for 31,456 yen ($297US) of that total.

I think I've done OK on the budget, and I have the tools to do what I need to do.

In the near future the items I'd like to add to this array of gear are what I mentioned in the video;
Zoom H1 recorder for 8,464 yen/$80US
Movo AEK-Z1 Shockmount, Camera Shoe, Furry Windscreen 3700 yen/$35US

Now I just need to learn the video editing software, and learn to shoot better video.
Wish me luck!

PS A YouTuber who has inspired me a LOT is Levi Allen over at LeftCoast
Go Check out his channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/LeftCoastVisuals

Last edited:
I like Levi also. Cool kid.

I also like to watch Pure Living for Life that Levi filmed for them.

I just bought a Cannon T6S with a pile of stuff.

Like you - I am trying to create a youtube video about once a week.

I was working with Pinnicle Video editing but not getting very far.

I switched to Adobe Elements and WOW that is so much easier to use.

Check out Peter McKinnon - AWESOME - stuff on creating GREAT content.
Peter is a **MUST** to check out.
Definitely check out Peter's Channel

Think Media is also another GREAT content source as well as his other channel Video Influencers

I like Frank Howarth and what he does - I love the stop motion that he creates. I want to do more of that.

I am pretty sure I have subscribed to your channel, I think you subscribed to mine. I will watch what you post.

Stu, I will only mention one thing.
Thank you for keeping your intro music and intro page short. So many times I click on videos where the intro seems (to me anyway) to be WAY to drawn out. I click on links to see the content of the maker but some tend to try to make big fancy productions of their videos and that turns me off right away. Your music is actually quite good and your intro page is simple and effective. I applaud you for this. I look forward to seeing more of your videos.

Stu, I will only mention one thing.
Thank you for keeping your intro music and intro page short. So many times I click on videos where the intro seems (to me anyway) to be WAY to drawn out. I click on links to see the content of the maker but some tend to try to make big fancy productions of their videos and that turns me off right away. Your music is actually quite good and your intro page is simple and effective. I applaud you for this. I look forward to seeing more of your videos.
Thank you Tom, and I agree with you about the long over done intros!

Sent from my WAS-LX2J using Tapatalk

What editing software are you using?
I'm using Cyber Link Power director 16.
I got a free version of it bundled with something years ago, I've paid, not much, every few years to upgrade it. I understand that is is not what the cool kids use, LOL, but to five in and learn a whole new software...

Think Media is also another GREAT content source as well as his other channel Video Influencers

I like Frank Howarth and what he does - I love the stop motion that he creates. I want to do more of that.

I am pretty sure I have subscribed to your channel, I think you subscribed to mine. I will watch what you post.
Yep, PLFL is a daily watch for me too, and I just started to watch that Peter guy (can't stand his buddy Casey).

Leo, I replied once with my phone, but I wanted to answer and ask some more in detail, I'll do the horrible ALL CAPS replies, and be sure, I am NOT yelling LOL...

YEP, THAT IS WHERE I FOUND LEVI, I'VE BEEN SUBSCRIBED TO PLFL FOR A VERY LONG TIME
THE FIRST VIDEO OF THEIRS I WATCHED WAS "INSANELY EASY DIY SAWHORSES! These are RIDICULOUS!"

WOW, VERY NICE, DARE I ASK HOW MUCH?

IT SOUNDS EASY UP FRONT, BUT IN REALITY IT IS NOT, YMMV ;)

IS THAT SOMETHING YOU PAID FOR, OR A FREE TO START THING?
AS NOTED IN ANOTHER REPLY ON THIS THREAD I'M USING CYBERLINK POWERDIRECTOR 16
I THINK I PAID $50 FOR THE UPGRADE FROM PD 12 TO PD 16...? I ALREADY KNOW HOW TO USE IT, SORT OF, I HAVE NOT EVEN BEGUN TO LEARN ALL THE TIPS AND TRICKS.

YEP, JUST STARTED WATCHING HIM, I THINK LEVI MENTIONED HIM SO I LOOKED HIM UP, LOTS TO CATCH UP ON, BUT LIKE I SAID, I DON'T LIKE HIS BUDDY CASEY. CASEY'S WORK IS VERY GOOD, BUT I CANNOT STAND HIS ATTITUDE, AGAIN YMMV :)

THINK MEDIA, OK, I'LL LOOK THEM UP, THANKS!

I AGREE, I HAVE BEEN SUBSCRIBED TO FRANK FOR A VERY LONG TIME TOO!

I'M NOT SURE, WHAT IS YOUR CHANNEL CALLED?

CHEERS

I paid $99 for Adobe Photoshop and the video editing bundle. It was a special price that I don't remember where I got it. I think its regular at $149 - and I would do that in a heartbeat.

I agree - I don't care much for Casey, BUT, there is a lot to learn from him. I hear he's worth about 12 million dollars and he does raise a LOT of money for charities. Even though I don't care for him, there is something to learn from a guy that IS a successful youtubber.

The T6S was body only at around $650, but I bought a bundle with lenses and a bunch of stuff. I did spend a significant amount of money, but I look at it as an investment in money and in my retirement in a few years.

My Channel is

leosworkshoppe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCANIXXLCVtl0rkJIz7dwMlg

Current Adobe CC versions are Cloud based and are by subscription.

If you don't want to be Cloud based, or can't justify subscribing (too low usage), older CS6 packages are still available online. I picked up the CS6 Master Collection from https://tncsoftwares.com/ for $199 last week. It doesn't matter to me that it's from 2012 and no longer supported by Adobe.