So Alen

ilts not something we long islanders experience, maybe once or twice before we had minor shakes. the house shook, nothing fell off shelves or anything like that. my wife thought it was a large truck zooming by.
I tried to tell her we live 100 feet off the corner, how on earth could a truck that large be zooming down the street when hed first have to make the turn. I told her earthquake she thought I was nuts. a minute later it was all over facebook and the news, and my emergency alert on my phone came on. felt another shock wave around 6 pm, not as strong, not as long, but the house rumbled a bit.
I have never experienced an earthquake of any significance.

a friend of mine was in mexico city many moons ago and after a powerful earthquake rattled the hotel, knocked down some buildings he was at the airport waiting for it to open to get on any flight to any city in US he coiuld find. him and his wife did not like the experience, having the earth shake and everything around you falling down.

but, it isnt aligators, lizards,mice scorpions, black bears, or anything else like that that would make my wife want to move tomorrow.

Many years ago when living in Alaska, the land of lots of quakes, we had a memorable 5.5 roller that lasted a couple of minutes. I was down in the basement hanging salmon to form a pelicle before smoking and a very pregnant miss Margie was upstairs taking a bath. The ground started rolling and rumbling and the salmon started swinging on the racks. I ran up stairs to check on the missus and saw the bathroom door swinging wildly back and forth. My very wide eyed wife, too scared to try and stand up in the tub, was hanging on for dear life, sloshing back and forth and spilling water all over the place. What a hoot!!

I rode out one big one and a bunch of small ones when I lived in LA. I still think I'd rather deal with quakes than tornadoes or hurricanes. One nice thing about living in NM is both quakes and tornadoes are very rare here. (Although the first quake I ever felt was a mild on here in Albuquerque in the early '70s.)
fixed spelling of name (thx Vaughn)
You're still missing one of the "L"s. :D That's OK...Allen saw your post and we know he made it through alright. :thumb:

I rode out one big one and a bunch of small ones when I lived in LA. I still think I'd rather deal with quakes than tornadoes or hurricanes. One nice thing about living in NM is both quakes and tornadoes are very rare here...
Yeah - the Whittier one was fairly big. Northridge was bigger yet, and I've forgotten what they called the one that was further out in the desert, beyond Palmdale.
Here in Ohio there've been one or two in the 2.5~3 range, but I've never felt them. After California, I think my butt was calibrated to not feel anything under a 3.5. :)

Yeah - the Whittier one was fairly big. Northridge was bigger yet, and I've forgotten what they called the one that was further out in the desert, beyond Palmdale.
Here in Ohio there've been one or two in the 2.5~3 range, but I've never felt them. After California, I think my butt was calibrated to not feel anything under a 3.5. :)
I was visiting LA in 1990 when they had a pretty decent aftershock of the Upland quake. That one shook my sister's 2-story apartment pretty good but there was no damage. I was living about 8 miles from the epicenter of the Northridge quake. That one was a real eye opener. My future wife was living in Granada Hills at the time (before we'd even met), just a couple of miles from the Northridge epicenter. It literally broke their house in half. Like you, living in Southern California made me pretty immune to even feeling smaller shakes.

Our dog, Audrey, used to freak out for hours some days and we weren’t sure why, it would be later on the news of a quake. Only had a couple in KC that we ever felt.

I had 3 brothers as teenagers work for me at my business over the years. one became an airline mechanic, moved to florida, one moved to oakland california and became a supervisor for BART,, the train system out there, not sure where the other brother ended up.
anyway, the one who moved to oakland, they had a big quake, not sure how long ago, quite some time, he lost his entire home, it just fell apart and was condemned or however the city decides if a house is livable out there. he did have insurance. to me its amazing that everything you own is gone is 60 seconds.

As Jim said, depends on where you live. Even here in coastal VA it isn't cheap. I got the same kind of quote when I priced it several years ago, after finding it was not part of my regular policy.

Depends on where you live. In SoCal, when I lived there, one company offered it for 10% of your assessed value, with a 25% deductible. Do the math for a $500K house.
At our last house in LA, the bank (or was it the county?) required that we have earthquake insurance. On top of that, the area we lived in was considered a wildfire zone, so we were required to also carry extra fire insurance. As I recall, our monthly insurance premiums were nearly as much as our loan payments.

I will say the fire insurance was handy when we went through the Station Fire in 2009. Although we had no visible damage, State Farm paid us a sizeable amount to cover smoke and ash damage.