Small Mahogany Bowl

Sean Wright

About 2 years ago, I was given a small pile of 6/4 + thick Mahogany and Poplar cut-offs, perfect for small bowls. After staring at the stack of blanks for a long time, I decided to dive back into turning, and started trying my hand a bowls. I had done a few in the past but most of my turning was spindle turning.

This is my 7[SUP]th[/SUP] small bowl turned from those bowl blanks. Mostly done with an Easy Wood – Easy Finisher carbide scraper.

This Mahogany bowl is about 5 ½ in across and about an 1 ½ in deep. It was finished using the Beall Buffing System on my Jet Mini Lathe.
The first 2 pictures are before the bowl was buffed.
bowl01.jpgbowl02.jpgbowl03.jpgbowl04.jpgbowl05.jpg

Looks pretty nice! Excellent finish.

I might have taken the outside of the bottom in a smidge more, but that's well into personal preference. IMHO it makes the wood a smidge more stable.

Nice bowl, Sean.:thumb: When I was a kid, my dad was given a pick up load of cut offs and shorts from a pattern makers shop. Much of it was mahogany and there were a lot of 2" thick 8" x 8" squares. He turned sets of bowls looking just like yours for each family member. Must have done 20-30 of them.