Shrimp Louie Salad

Mike Stafford

More than 50 years ago we were on our honeymoon and we ate at a restaurant in Orlando, Florida. We cannot recall the name unfortunately but we had a dinner there that was so delicious we went back and ate there again to have the same dish.

It was called Shrimp Louie Salad. We enjoyed it so much we asked for the recipe and the restaurant gave it to us. It is my understanding that Shrimp Louie Salad originated in California. The original recipe is quite different from what we had in Orlando.

Last night we had Shrimp Louie Salad. we eat Shrimp Louie salad several times each summer. It is the perfect cold dish to sit down to on those days when it is scorching hot outside and you don't want to heat up the kitchen.

The version we make consists of a bed of lettuce, strips of ham and cheese, hard boiled eggs cut into quarters and Shrimp Louie Dressing. We like to salt and pepper the eggs.

The dressing is what makes the dish so delicious. It resembles a remoulade but the flavor profiles is more complex because of how many ingredients are used. It consists of mayonnaise (Duke's, of course), ketchup, chili sauce, sweet chili sauce, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder and a few dashes of Tobasco if the horseradish is not doing its job. In some respects we think the Tobasco makes the sauce even better but it is real easy to overheat the dressing. Everything is whisked together and allowed to chill and meld together in the refrigerator for several hours before dinner. The shrimp are peeled and deveined. The salad is assembled and allowed to thoroughly chill before serving. Then it is just a matter of putting as much of the dressing on the salad wherever you wish.

Below is a picture of the salad and its dressing before they are mated. There are strips of ham under all that but they are hard to see in the picture.

P1020813 mod (Small).jpg

We love it!

The Classic Shrimp Louie doesn't have the Ham and cheese and uses Romain, I think I like this version better. Also if you use Crab meat instead of Shrimp you get Crab Louie. It originated in San Francisco in the early 1900's a variation also would include Avocado.

The Classic Shrimp Louie doesn't have the Ham and cheese and uses Romain, I think I like this version better. Also if you use Crab meat instead of Shrimp you get Crab Louie. It originated in San Francisco in the early 1900's a variation also would include Avocado.
We do use Romaine. I do like the idea of substituting crab but I fear my dressing would overpower the crab meat's delicate flavor.

The recipe we use is the one we were given by the restaurant. I have never had it anywhere else so I guess we are spoiled on the version we use.