Retro Restoration....

Stu i measured the tube length this morning. It is 20cm so it will be alright. However I forgot to measure the diameter. I'll check again tonight and let you know.

If it is from the 90's it could very well be 1 1/8" or 28.6mm :)

That still might work, as I'm told I can get a new style of headset and a threadless fork and convert it, and that the 1 1/8" threadless fork will work.... :huh: :dunno:

Stu the forks are 1" 1/8 diameter. Actually I should have known that without checking as that is standard for MTB. Cannondale (and Klein) went into an oversized fork tube later but for the most 1" 1/8 is standard size. As you mentioned if the fork tube can fit into your frame tube then you might be able to get a headset that works for the 1" frame tube. Let me know what you want to do. The Rock Shox are yours for the taking.

BTW the forks are threaded but you can use an unthreaded headset with them as I did.

Last edited:
Stu the forks are 1" 1/8 diameter. Actually I should have known that without checking as that is standard for MTB. Cannondale (and Klein) went into an oversized fork tube later but for the most 1" 1/8 is standard size. As you mentioned if the fork tube can fit into your frame tube then you might be able to get a headset that works for the 1" frame tube. Let me know what you want to do. The Rock Shox are yours for the taking.

BTW the forks are threaded but you can use an unthreaded headset with them as I did.

I kind of figured that Alex, still, the option is open, thanks.

I took the new fork back to Y's Road and they refunded my money no problem, what a relief. :thumb:

I am looking to buy an original Cannondale "Pepperoni" aluminum fork on auction in the US, it is cheap now, but who knows, 4 days left. The only hitch is he won't ship internationally, so I'll have to get someone in the US to forward it to me. Back in the day, that was the fork I coveted, but it was something like $120. Lightweight, aluminum fork, with a nice solid Chromoly steering tube. Heck, the one I'm looking at is even powder coated red!

If I don't get that one, then I might have to look into this threadless headset deal further.

Cheers!

Today I tried to measure the inside of the head tube, and I could not confirm that a 1 1/8" steering tube would fit through. :huh: So, I turned a piece of wood as close to 1 1/8" I could and tried to slide it through.......
SN3D0836.JPG
....... no go, real close, but no go :doh:

I guess I'm stuck with 1" steering tubes, I had better win that one on auction :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting on parts, Monday is a national holiday, so while the bike shop is open, they will not get anything until Tuesday at the earliest :(

I did buy what I need to press in the new steering head races.....

diy_race_press.JPG
.... just over $5 worth of parts, the real ones......

par_08_ste_rac_pre.jpg
..... sell for over $150 :eek: :D

Oh my Stu I think you might be in for it.:doh:
That real one has round washers and a handle:doh: I don't know if you home made one is going to work with square washers and a wrench.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
So sand your washers round and weld a wrench to the nut and you'll have it.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Still might not get to 150 but if you use a Snap-on wrench you'll be close.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 questions...

1) When was 'Back in the Day'?
2) Why is it called a pepperoni fork?

about a week after I bought the bike in the fall of 1988, I broke the cheap fork that they sold with the frame, the bike complete ready to roll was cheaper to buy that just the bare frame was, a large bike retailer (like a Bicycle Walmart) somehow got hold of a bunch of Cannodale frames on the cheap, they slapped on the cheapest parts they could and sold the bike readyt to roll, but the parts were mostly junk, low grade, made from playdough kind of junk. I knew that, but the fork broke on a fairly smooth trail, not doing any jumping or such. I wanted the Pepperoni fork, but it was way too expensive at the time, so I replaced the busted one with a good quality Tange fork, it lasted 22 years, and I'd be using it today, except I let the bike sit so long and water got into the steering head and the fork was badly rusted :doh:

Back in the day would have been about 1989-1990 :thumb:

They called it Pepperoni because (I think) the fork blades are really oversized aluminum so they are big and fat, like a Pepperoni........ :dunno:

The steering tube is 1" steel threaded, this fork should slap right on to the bike. The guy said that is was powder coated red just before he upgraded the bike to a suspension fork, so it has sat for a long time unused.

Now if the bike shop would just get my other parts to me :rolleyes: :wave:

Cheers!

Very nice!

Sounds like this bike build will be robust enough to head out and tackle more than deliveries when you are done! :thumb::thumb:

My rapid fire shifters and stuff came in the mail today, and they are just like the seller described them, so I'm happy.

Just waiting on the forks and then on the bike shop to get me my freaking bottom bracket :doh::(

Al right, my bottom bracket and my headset came!! :thumb:

I'll get those in on Sunday, and then I'm waiting for the fork to arrive from the US. after that, just some wheel bearings, and I'm good to go, build it up and get riding the darn thing! :D

I've been riding the bike every day, and really enjoying it, sometimes hauling my trailer, but always enjoying myself :thumb:

The last couple of days it has been raining, today, I had to go to the bank and a 25 minute walk in the rain did not appeal to me :rolleyes: riding the scooter, I'd get just as wet as riding the bicycle, so I rode the bicycle :D and yes, I got wet.

It reminded me so much of my days back in Vancouver going up to the university every day, even in the winter and so often in the rain.

I went by the bike shop and picked up some fenders.

The rear fender when on in no time at all.....
rear_fender.JPG
.... no problem:thumb:
Then I got onto the front fender..... :D

Oh boy..... You see the Peperoni fork I got, does not have fender mounts. I had to buy a couple of adapter plate things to give me fender mounts.

Of course, these were not quite right.......

standard_adapter_bracket_fork.JPG
...no right is it.

I did some cutting and filing and came up with this....

modified_adapter_bracket_fork.JPG

I also had to file the fork, just a bit.....
adapter_bracket_conflict.JPG
.... there is the back of the bracket, it hits the fork, so the fork got a bit of a file job.

modified_fork.JPG
... just a little bit of a file job.

adapter_bracket_mod1.JPG adapter_bracket_mod2.JPG

That is the bracket before and after, if you will.

Once I get both modified the fender should go on fine.

Next up I need to find some good rain pants in VERY large size (hopefully smaller soon) but riding in the rain with out good rain pants is just all wet ;)

I don't mind the rain, the fenders will help.

Cheers!

Next up I need to find some good rain pants in VERY large size (hopefully smaller soon) but riding in the rain with out good rain pants is just all wet ;)

I don't mind the rain, the fenders will help.

I typically just wear light nylon pants. They're not waterproof, but in mist or light sprinkle they are good enough, and in heavy rain I usually don't ride.

I do wear a good cycling jacket from MEC, absolutely dry inside --- except for sweat of course, waterproof and breathable don't always go together!

Thanks Art, I'll still too fat for most of the outdoor goods types of places, so I'll just get some basic rain pants somewhere for now, when I get back to a reasonable size, I'll look for better rain gear.

I fixed the adapter plate.....

fixed_adapter_plate.jpg

.... I think this gives the axle bolt more meat to grab :thumb:

It was only raining very lightly today, so I was able to do the deliveries with the trailer, worked good! :D