Record Player Table

lyndsey heist

This was a gift for my husband. We haven't had a proper station for our record player. I wanted something unique and different. I went back and forth with the design for months.

Needless to say this project was definitely out of my skillset. The angles of the heartbeat shelves was so aggravating. I used SketchUp and would constantly change and check how the angles would work and look once put together. Of course during this time our garage was half torn apart due to purging and getting a new saw. I was limited with tools to use and room to work. The miters on the waterfall pieces that drop from the top was a nightmare.

All said and done I am very pleased with the finished product. The top is Ambrosia maple and the heart beat shelves are Padauk.

Attachments

• 20240504_201014.jpg
    20240504_201014.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240504_175745.jpg
    20240504_175745.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240504_180941.jpg
    20240504_180941.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 34
Wow, nice work! I can see why the Miters gave you fits given both the number, the angle, and the fussy fit with them being so exposed visually. They came out looking great though, and to echo Ted's comment, very cool design!

Thanks guys, the waterfall miters had such a big gap due to trying to even cut the 45° due to it being inset, I had to use a Japanese saw and then after reading a lot of forums and advice I used shavings of the wood and stuck them into the joint and it came out great. The Padauk is so dense, not thinking about how to stabilize the weight of the shelves themselves knowing they would also carry the weight of our records was a challenge. I didn't want any hardware to show to take away from the design itself, so I got some steel rod and my husband welded it to an angle iron and essentially made floating shelf brackets with it. I finished it off with a conversion varnish which really brought out the natural tones. I am a tung oil lover through and through, but this varnish was so easy to apply and turned out beautifully.

I was not expecting all the nice words. As most of you know we are our own worst critics. There were so many nights I wanted to just take an axe to it and burn it I felt so discouraged. I have to say this group definitely helped me through a lot of hiccups along the way. How to cut acute angles, how to join wood to make wider or as my husband says stretch it, how to fix miter joints, watering down glue and applying it before actually gluing pieces together. I feel I have some pretty good bass skills but you all helped me take it to the next level. I can't thank you guys enough for sharing your trials and errors and all the advice you have to people like me. Beers on me guys! Thank you

As most of you know we are our own worst critics.

Yep, also you've been sitting close to it for a long time which gives you plenty of detailed knowledge of all of the flaws. Someone looking from the outside will basically never see them.

Short story: I redid our bathroom in a rather decent italian tile some years ago. If I dare say so it generally came out quite nice... except two tiles.. that are right in front of the toilet. So every day I get to sit there and contemplate my fallibility. The only other person who has noticed it is LOML who sits in a similar location on a similar timeline hah.

Awesome work, Lyndsey! I really like the unique design. It's eye-catching and functional at the same time. I can only imagine how challenging it was to make it come out so nicely. :clap:

You really knocked that project out of the park.. Shows great skill and or patience for someone who professes lack of skill. Think you were jiving us. Welcome and lets see some more projects.
David

Yep, also you've been sitting close to it for a long time which gives you plenty of detailed knowledge of all of the flaws. Someone looking from the outside will basically never see them.

Short story: I redid our bathroom in a rather decent italian tile some years ago. If I dare say so it generally came out quite nice... except two tiles.. that are right in front of the toilet. So every day I get to sit there and contemplate my fallibility. The only other person who has noticed it is LOML who sits in a similar location on a similar timeline hah.
That's funny my husband and I do remodeling and renovations for a living and when I install tile, there is always that one price that gives you a hard time, and needless to say no one ever notices it except myself. That was actually one of the first things my husband told me about bathrooms, always make sure around the toilet is perfect because that's where anyone sits long enough to notice the flaws lol

You really knocked that project out of the park.. Shows great skill and or patience for someone who professes lack of skill. Think you were jiving us. Welcome and lets see some more projects.
David
This is the head board I made for our bed out of rainbow poplar, a rolling tray I made for my brother in law, and a memory box for a dear friend of the family. The light fixture I made for a client we are redoing her kitchen and pantry currently

Attachments

• 20240329_145827.jpg
    20240329_145827.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231231_172138.jpg
    20231231_172138.jpg
    638.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231222_222609.jpg
    20231222_222609.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231222_222614.jpg
    20231222_222614.jpg