Pantry Organizers

glenn bradley

I'm sticking this under General Woodworking since it is pretty general in nature. I am taking up the time between big steps of my current project to make LOML happy. Part of a recent remodel is an increased size for the pantry. She wanted some corrals or organizers for the many random things that go into the staples of our food-making life. Te fixtures are scaled so that if there is ever a need, they can be lined up five fixtures wide. More realistically they will be placed randomly around the shelving units.
PantryOrg1.thumb.jpg.34844267927279b52bb5e1840feb58ef.jpg
I have some scrounged 1/4" MDF that I have been burning up for such things. With a little care the material can be made to be reasonably visually pleasing. I use the sled to cut out one of the angled pieces.
PantryOrg(1).thumb.jpg.d95734043e93f101866959b40a6efa24.jpg
This gives me a template to cut out al the rest.
PantryOrg(2).thumb.jpg.808fc310b2c095f678d87b31caa236ec.jpg
I can't believe how much use I've gotten out of this template sled.
PantryOrg(3).thumb.jpg.45000217fc054bc1d93a262e2f484d38.jpg
Parts is parts.
PantryOrg(4).thumb.jpg.eeeeca31dab6d4ffd7b745a09cddc3d3.jpg
I shellac the interior surfaces excluding those to be glued.
PantryOrg(5).thumb.jpg.27e394082d5229d4cd9a68ba66619414.jpg
I will carry on tomorrow . . . . its time for dinner.
PantryOrg(6).thumb.jpg.630318b1fda6f6614fa531c74ffd9a50.jpg

Attachments

• Pantry Org  (0).jpg
    Pantry Org (0).jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Pantry Org  (6).jpg
    Pantry Org (6).jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Pantry Org  (5).jpg
    Pantry Org (5).jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Pantry Org  (4).jpg
    Pantry Org (4).jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Pantry Org  (3).jpg
    Pantry Org (3).jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Pantry Org  (2).jpg
    Pantry Org (2).jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Pantry Org  (1).jpg
    Pantry Org (1).jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
OK, that didn't take long. The mini-bot glue bottle really allows you to put small amounts of glue where you want them.
Pantry Org  (7).jpg
I ended up using a planing stop, a couple of bench blades, and some tape-wrapped scraps left over from something in order to clamp things.
Pantry Org  (8).jpg . Pantry Org  (9).jpg
I used some 23 gauge pins along with the glue to help me move along. I end up here.
Pantry Org  (10).jpg
And in use it looks like so.
Pantry Org  (11).jpg
These will replace the cut up coffee boxes you see to the left and right of the new fixture.

Hold up, the sides and bottom are just edge glued (with pins to speed up declamping)?

Seeing one in use, I might well need to make some of these (although I'll keep it under my hat and not show loml until I'm ready to execute on them... hah).

I understand your concern :). The front, bottom, and back are rabbeted into the sides. The front-to-bottom and back-to-bottom joint is a butt joint and arguably weaker than a rabbet. These are designed to simply corral products, not transport them from hither to yon. I have made similar "trays" for under the sink stuff. These have survived an surprisingly long time. This is what led me to mimic the joinery on these smaller bins. ;)

"Because I have one" and if I was building these, I think I would use my "Incra I-Box Jig" on my Unisaw to make these. The joints take a bit longer to cut, but would be several orders of magnitude stronger. But then I tend to like box joints, especially when using thin materials. The jig makes doing it so easy that I will use it instead of my Leigh D4R dovetail jig when corner strength is needed.

Charley

"Because I have one" and if I was building these, I think I would use my "Incra I-Box Jig" on my Unisaw to make these. The joints take a bit longer to cut, but would be several orders of magnitude stronger. But then I tend to like box joints, especially when using thin materials. The jig makes doing it so easy that I will use it instead of my Leigh D4R dovetail jig when corner strength is needed.

Charley
I've had the I-Box jig ever since it first came out, and use it a lot. I don't think my Leigh jig has been out of its case since I got the I-Box jig.