Nosy Neighbor Part 637

How is that she’s still single???
I'm no judge of beauty, but I'm pretty sure she fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. :eek:

When English fails you no one can understand your blather. If the dogs dig up the plants the deer will not get a chance to eat the plants as they grow.:rolleyes:
Just ruffling your chain, Mike. Pulling your buttons, as it were. :rofl:

Karen's will be Karen's, mine is across the street. We can talk nicely to one another but if I'm visiting and talking with her husband she always feel the need to ecert herself and bring up political power points. My answered always get a reply. Go home Dave... lol

Last edited:
My experience is that a neighbour who can run a skid steer and be trusted to bring it back in good condition (with or without a thank you gift) is the sort of neighbour we'd all like to have.
He had rented one a couple of times and I saw him operate it. He's a real good kid and smart. I'm impressed with all the improvements they've been making on the property.

I like people but I don't like neighbors. I support the concept of the old adage 'if you can't take a whiz in your front yard your neighbors are too close'. Some here have seen and stayed at my house. For me, it is almost ideally situated. I am fairly isolated and cannot see my neighbors. Except for a few walkers no one is ever on my road. (I don't do the whiz thing in front, back yard is another matter). Vaughn, sorry you have to suffer such an unpleasant neighbor, sadly, they do live among us.

I like people but I don't like neighbors. I support the concept of the old adage 'if you can't take a whiz in your front yard your neighbors are too close'.
Shouldn't be a problem for me ..... this is my current project, a prefab home on a small (6-acre) parcel of land my sweetheart and I bought 41 years ago. I have two .... count-em, two neighbours, both great families. (pardon my complete lack of filmmaker skills)

Shouldn't be a problem for me ..... this is my current project, a prefab home on a small (6-acre) parcel of land my sweetheart and I bought 41 years ago. I have two .... count-em, two neighbours, both great families. (pardon my complete lack of filmmaker skills)

I am pretty sure I saw Bob Ross paint this on Joy of Painting.

Looks like heaven on Earth.

That's a dream location for me, not so much for the wife.

I like the ones that tell you, “Well, the people who owned this property before you bought it didn’t mind if we, crossed it, cut firewood, drove around down here, etc, etc, etc….”. Sounds to me like they should have bought it when it was for sale...

Hey, are you using a router?
What?
Are you using a router?
WHAT?
ARE YOU USING A ROUTER?
Oh, a Router...
Yes, a router...
No, it’s. a planer….

Alan

I like the ones that tell you, “Well, the people who owned this property before you bought it didn’t mind if we, crossed it, cut firewood, drove around down here, etc, etc, etc….”. Sounds to me like they should have bought it when it was for sale...
True story: We have a fig tree that's in the side yard between our house and Ms. Unpleasant's house. LOML and I are not fond of figs, but Ms. Unpleasant and her daughter love them. The first year after we moved in (when we were on better terms), she came as asked if we minded if she picked figs off the branches that were hanging into her yard. Not only did we not mind, we invited them into our yard to pick all the figs they wanted. This went on for several years.

Eventually, the tree stopped producing much fruit, and the only new growth on the tree was just hundreds of suckers growing from the base and outlying roots. A couple of years ago I decided the prune the tree back pretty severely to force it to grow some new, fruit-bearing branches. (I could tell looking at the trunk that this had been done sometime in the past.)

About as soon as I started the chainsaw, Ms. Unpleasant came out to the wall between our houses and asked why I was cutting the tree down. I explained that I was not cutting it down, just pruning it heavily so it would start producing fruit again. She harrumphed and said "Well, the Seebecks (the previous owners) never had to do that. They knew how to take care of it" I answered, "Well, we're not the Seebecks, are we?" :rofl:

Last spring the tree did indeed start growing some new primary branches, but we didn't get any fruit on any of our trees due to a late hard frost. I'm seriously considering just taking the tree all the way out, since it's a pain to clean up around it every fall. I'm sure Ms. Unpleasant won't approve, and I I have no problem with that. ;)

True story: We have a fig tree that's in the side yard between our house and Ms. Unpleasant's house. LOML and I are not fond of figs, but Ms. Unpleasant and her daughter love them. The first year after we moved in (when we were on better terms), she came as asked if we minded if she picked figs off the branches that were hanging into her yard. Not only did we not mind, we invited them into our yard to pick all the figs they wanted. This went on for several years.

Eventually, the tree stopped producing much fruit, and the only new growth on the tree was just hundreds of suckers growing from the base and outlying roots. A couple of years ago I decided the prune the tree back pretty severely to force it to grow some new, fruit-bearing branches. (I could tell looking at the trunk that this had been done sometime in the past.)

About as soon as I started the chainsaw, Ms. Unpleasant came out to the wall between our houses and asked why I was cutting the tree down. I explained that I was not cutting it down, just pruning it heavily so it would start producing fruit again. She harrumphed and said "Well, the Seebecks (the previous owners) never had to do that. They knew how to take care of it" I answered, "Well, we're not the Seebecks, are we?" :rofl:

Last spring the tree did indeed start growing some new primary branches, but we didn't get any fruit on any of our trees due to a late hard frost. I'm seriously considering just taking the tree all the way out, since it's a pain to clean up around it every fall. I'm sure Ms. Unpleasant won't approve, and I I have no problem with that. ;)
I am sorry that you don't like figs and that you have a Ms. Unpleasant.

My grandfather and grandmother had three fig trees/bushes that grew alongside the south side of the garage where my grandfather's shop, tractor and garden tools were. The fact that it was on the south side was important because the bushes would have died if they are on the north side. My grandfather was adamant about that. He said the garage walls afforded just enough protection to allow the highly temperature sensitive fig bushes to survive the winters of western N.C. The garage caught fire a few years later and it and the three fig bushes were lost.

I have very fond memories of my grandmother's fig preserves. She would can whole figs in a sweet syrup. Then when you wanted something delicious you just took a fork and separated the top and bottom of a hot homemade biscuit and fish out one fig from a jar of preserves and squish it between the two halves of the biscuit. Have mercy, that was good eating.

My grandmother made wonderful preserves. Her pear preserves were to die for and she made muscadine jelly that was absolutely out of this world. Muscadines and scuppernongs are virtually the same grape; muscadines had purplish to almost black skins and scuppernongs had yellow or bronze skins. They are the same species I am told. My grandfather made homemade scuppernong wine but I never got to taste it as he quit making it before I came of age. He had a grape arbor with the vines growing across the top of it and clumps of grapes were hanging down in the shade.

Unfortunately this story has an unhappy ending as my grandmother was a Ms. Unpleasant. An ornerier woman I have never met. She had a chip on her shoulder as long as I knew her.

We were share croppers when I was first born and in my pre-teen years... one of the places we worked had a huge fig bush sitting right in the front yard...'course were in east Texas, so winters weren't all that harsh.

Another place we lived had a huge oak tree that was completely covered by a muscadine grape vine... green grapes make really good ammo for a sling shot and can really put a sting on you when you get hit.... but we picked the ripe grapes for juice and jam.... mom also made a green grape pie once... was tasty, but sure made your mouth pucker... don't think you could get enough sugar in it to take awy the sour.

until we get the toilet going

Some inspiration:

My grandfather made homemade scuppernong wine but I never got to taste it as he quit making it before I came of age.

Sure never slowed my grandpa down (ok maybe a little but a sip here and there was pretty well offered).

The fact that it was on the south side was important because the bushes would have died if they are on the north side. My grandfather was adamant about that. He said the garage walls afforded just enough protection to allow the highly temperature sensitive fig bushes to survive the winters of western N.C.

There's a fig bush growing down the street from me that I know for a fact has survived temperatures down to 0F and perhaps a bit below.; It might not have the tastiest figs (it's not unlike a Brown Turkey fig although maybe not quite as good) but it is tough. It's in the public roadway so I've taken dozens of cuttings and shared them with folks all over, and kept a few myself. I should get a couple more before we move out entirely this year.

Some inspiration:

Sure never slowed my grandpa down (ok maybe a little but a sip here and there was pretty well offered).

There's a fig bush growing down the street from me that I know for a fact has survived temperatures down to 0F and perhaps a bit below.; It might not have the tastiest figs (it's not unlike a Brown Turkey fig although maybe not quite as good) but it is tough. It's in the public roadway so I've taken dozens of cuttings and shared them with folks all over, and kept a few myself. I should get a couple more before we move out entirely this year.
Ryan, that is very interesting. I have no idea what kind of fig my grandparents had but they were very sensitive to frost and would brown and drop leaves if much of a frost. The garage that sheltered them was built from corrugated steel siding and caught the morning sun. The steel would get pretty hot even during the winter and my grandfather attributed to that as the reason the fig bushes survived.

Another thing I remember is my grandmother dried apple slices on the flat section of the roof. She would put old towels down on the roof and then spread out the apple slices. She made wonderful apple pies and turnovers with those dried apples. A dried apple pie is quite different from a fresh apple pie. The texture of the fruit is different and the flavor is more intense with the dried apples.