New Shop Journey

Thanks guys. I actually ran the dust collector a few times yesterday while doing small tasks in the shop. I'm hoping to move the last of the larger machines in next week.

I forgot to post this and it may help someone. I found that I can set the guides at a height that lets the bandsaw blade just cut through the pipe wall. The pipe rides against the bolt heads on this particular saw but you get the idea. I then just rotate the pipe. The pipe shown is schd-40 that I use for connectors. All my duct pipe is astm-2729 and has thinner walls. Just FYI.
New Shop (456).jpg
I draw a line around the pipe and put a mark on the blade guard to use as a site-line.
New Shop (457).jpg
And this is what happens . . .
New Shop (458).jpg
. . . when you do everything right EXCEPT turn the vac on before cutting :rofl:

The second vertical member is in. This was delayed while I experimented with 2-1/2" overarm / router table fence collection versus 4". There's a ton of math you can throw at dust collection but I just went for plain old empirical data. That is; a real world test. The 2-1/2" proved best for me in this installation.
New Shop (459).jpg
That picture makes it look like the overhead is "T" connected. It is like so . . .
New Shop (463).jpg
You can just ignore the temporary tape and what-not; this is a mid-fabrication shot :).

I used commercial plastic blast gates in these positions. I had them on hand and things got a little crowded and clumsy when I tried to fit the self-cleaning style that I make myself.
New Shop (460).jpg
We'll see how this goes. A shop is always evolving so if an alteration is required later on it won't be the first or the last. The 2-1/2" hose will also serve the tablesaw overarm in some fashion as yet to be determined. It won't be green painter's tape 😬. Velcro straps are likely the solution here. The aperture into the guard is quite small so I may have to field modify the hose attachment location as well. I don't use the overarm a lot but time will tell.
New Shop (461).jpg
I am now ready to build out the electrical wire ways that will serve the two groups of machines. First I want to play with the 8" adjustable elbow at the DC exhaust to see if I can make the noise more acceptable.

Last edited:
My compadre and I took the fence carriage off the jointer and then took the jointer off the base. This allowed us to muscle it onto a dolly and get it into the shop where we reassembled it.
New Shop (464).jpg
Flush with our success we refer-dollied the bandsaw out to the shop.
New Shop (465).jpg
We then surveyed the 600 lb planer . . . hmmm . . . I called my son in law. He muscled it onto a dolly he had brought along and wheeled it out to the shop in nothing flat.
New Shop (466).jpg
We got a little work done on the power as well and hope to have both power risers live by EOD tomorrow.
New Shop (467).jpg

I remember posting a shop-tour-2018 and a few folks commented that it looked a bit claustrophobic . . . understatement. I wish I had video of me building a project in that shop. At high speed it would look like I was doing some techo-dance moves the way I had to Outside Turn, Pirouette, Inside Turn my way through the shop. The biggest gift to myself in building this shop is space-to-work. Still in motion but, here's some more progress pics.

The Dual Reverse Giggle Bearing Influx De-modulator . . .
New Shop (468).jpg
I mean the ceiling plate to flex to EMT section.
Inside the wire ways.
New Shop (469).jpg
It's starting to feel like home.
New Shop (474).jpg
Milling area looking toward the jointer.
New Shop (470).jpg
Milling area looking toward the planer.
New Shop (471).jpg
90 more degrees clockwise.
New Shop (472).jpg
The tablesaw area looks the same but has new power cords run.
New Shop (473).jpg
Most importantly I jointed a board, planed it, re-sawed a plank off and sanded it testing all the blast gates and dust collection. Although a few machine are still using 4" hose I will call the DC a success so far. Shop made 6" hoods will bring the jointer and planer to 6" direct connections.

Thanks guys. As the tenant it is hard to not get excited when all the small stuff gets off the top of the bench and on to the end were it belongs :rofl:.
New Shop (475).jpg
I'll try not to ping you to death with minor accomplishments but I must worn you that I may become tiresome over the next few posts. 😬

Thanks guys. As the tenant it is hard to not get excited when all the small stuff gets off the top of the bench and on to the end were it belongs :rofl:.
View attachment 118216
I'll try not to ping you to death with minor accomplishments but I must worn you that I may become tiresome over the next few posts. 😬
Ping away! :D