My Small Bowls

Sean Wright

As I mentioned in another post, I have been turning my way through a stack of Mahogany and Poplar cut-off blanks. Here my other small bowls.
The 1st one is Mahogany finished with mineral oil (with parfin wax melted into it). The 2nd one is Mahogany finished again with mineral oil & wax. The 3rd one is also Mahogany, but this one has a buffed finish (Beall Buff System). The 4th one is Poplar, with the mineral oil and wax. I was experimenting with doing an "over hanging edge". The 5th one is Poplar with a buffed finish.

They are starting to stack up. I really don't know what to do with them, but I'm sure I will come up with something.

Attachments

• Blanks.jpg
    Blanks.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Bowls04.jpg
    Bowls04.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 15
  • Bowls03.jpg
    Bowls03.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Bowls02.jpg
    Bowls02.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Bowls01.jpg
    Bowls01.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Bowl05.jpg
    Bowl05.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 17
  • Bowl04.jpg
    Bowl04.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Bowl03.jpg
    Bowl03.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Bowl02.jpg
    Bowl02.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Bowl01.jpg
    Bowl01.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 19
I like the shape of the one in picture #4 (bowl #3) and the one with the overhanging lip the best. They have consistent curves and flow nicely. I want to like bowl #2, the outside shape is really nice but the differential between the inside and the outside is throwing me a little. I think I'd like bowl #1 in person better, I've made a couple of bowl like that and found the to be quite nice in hand but for some reason its a difficult shape to photograph. Your finishing work is pretty impeccable, no sanding marks and that "just lightly finished' wood look that works really well for me (other folks like more gloss or whatever but that's personal opinion - I'm liking what you're doing here myself).

Sean you can order the natural and add color dye to get the tone you want. I'll apply a couple coats of sealer before I fill the grain. Also, this will last you forever one quart.

Attachments

• 20180313_082131.jpg
    20180313_082131.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 8