Micro-Adjustable Stop Block

glenn bradley

I have a few different types of stop blocks and all of them excel in one way or another. My micro-adjustable versions have always used a screw or a bolt in a t-nut and these work most of the time. The times they don't work is when the head of the screw or bolt does not reliably contact my material due to thickness or shape. I am currently watching paint dry between coats so I had some time to percolate a bit. This hang-time is really letting me crush my to-do lists :).

Grab a piece of scrap from the butcher block bar top I made for my neighbor's relative a while back. Mill it square and drill a 13/64" through the middle.
Micro-Adj-Stop-Block-v2 (1).jpg
Drill two 3/16" holes for guides. This will make more sense in a sec.
Micro-Adj-Stop-Block-v2 (2).jpg
Add some MatchFit dovetail slots.
Micro-Adj-Stop-Block-v2 (3).jpg
Cut the block in half.
Micro-Adj-Stop-Block-v2 (4).jpg
Go to the junk can and grab some hardware. A knob, a nylon lock nut, two washers, a bit of aluminum rod, a t-nut, and a piece of 10-32 threaded rod.
Micro-Adj-Stop-Block-v2 (5).jpg
It goes together like so.
Micro-Adj-Stop-Block-v2 (6).jpg
You place the stop block in the approximate position you need and clamp the right hand side.
Micro-Adj-Stop-Block-v2 (7).jpg
Every half rotation of the knob equals about 1/64".
Micro-Adj-Stop-Block-v2 (8).jpg
Once micro-adjusted, clamp the other side of the fixture.
Micro-Adj-Stop-Block-v2 (9).jpg
I have needed this for a while. It had become one of those to-do list items that never got done . . . . No More! :D

Last edited:
Great idea. :thumb: That looks like it would even work without the dovetail slots. (Wouldn't look as neat, though.)
Seems like they fit the special clamps. I was wondering the same thing for a few minutes. But could do the same thing with different clamps I reckon, just wouldn't be as slick.

My previous versions were clamped with small f-style clamps. 3/8" hole Rockler Universal clamps would work as well. I just happen to have moved primarily to the MatchFit. Just in case it might give Y'all a nudge . . . I went back and looked at the timestamps on the pictures. Once I had the hardware gathered I made the thing in under an hour. I have some other things like this that I have waited way too long to dedicate a little time to. They pay back that time over and over again. (y)

The MatchFit clamps are a slick solution indeed. I use Irwin Quick Clamps for all sorts of things like this...I suspect they'd also do the job although I'd have to be careful to be sure they don't slip sideways when tightened. Although come to think of it, I have a T-track on the inside face of my main sled, so I could do the same 2-piece micro adjust stop and have the two halves attach with t-bolts and knobs.